• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone Worked in Cologne/Koln Germany?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Worked in Cologne/Koln Germany?

Been offered a role in Germany. Job and rate are good but I need a little advice on accommodation. Initially I'm looking for cheap guesthouse/shared house. Once I'm settled in I might look at renting something.
    Client is based in the city centre by the river.

Is that for a 2yr contract by any chance?

Comment

No, but I got an e-mail about that one too

Comment

Provided that you are somewhere in the town on the S-Bahn, renting small furnished accommodation is Germany is easy. Taking an apartment for 3 months is normal so don't worry about the length of time that you need.

You will have to use an agent and pay a fee. Don't balk at this, it is still cheaper than the alternative.

tim

Comment

Köln or Koeln
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Ok, I've had a hunt around e-rent.de for accommodation. Client has also recommended a B&B for 25 euro per night. Apartments seem a little pricey compared to Belgium but they are mostly furnished and as tim123 said, three month leases are ok.
            Need to work out the tax situation there also. Guess I'll need a German accountant to advise on that.

Comment

if you hurry, Carnival starts this week, 6 days of beer, sex and partying

The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Not so much "in" Cologne, rather "on" Cologne:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Millennium

Comment

Originally posted by BlightyBoy View Post
                  Not so much "in" Cologne, rather "on" Cologne:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Millennium
                  Sorry. That was in bad taste.

Been there once, (no, seriously) - lovely city if the Munster is somewhat dirty from air-pollution.

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  if you hurry, Carnival starts this week, 6 days of beer, sex and partying

That's right - Fasching starts early in Rhineland-Pfalz (or is it Nordrhein Westphalen)?

Now you know why I never flew - failed year 2 geography!

Comment

Working...
                  X