• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    I thought you were worried about paying for the accommodation yourself?
    I didn't say I wasn't. I was just responding to the statement that was made about the advantage of being a permie. As a contractor, where an agreement exists, the client would also pay for travelling to locations other than the home "work" location. So the argument was a bit muted.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Anyway, found out that the contract was still not IR35 compliant, even with all the special conditions. So walked away from it. The agency wasn't pleased. I'm not sure the client will be pleased either.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

You could always issue them with a new contract which does pass IR35. There's alot to be said for having your own contracts & not using the clients...

Comment

Originally posted by TheVoice View Post
          You could always issue them with a new contract which does pass IR35. There's alot to be said for having your own contracts & not using the clients...

Unfortunately, it's either their contract or no contract. Like it or lump it scenario.

Comment

Bad luck. I was in the same position back in 2001.
            The role was £25 per hour max, not a very interesting and away from home.

I priced out everything before taking the contract and thought that they would be no profit but that I would at least earn some money.

It was away from home and in outer West London. After a couple of months I found that the role was actually costing me more money than I was earning. It's the expenses that were killing me - hotel and train. In the end I walked and found another contract. I've never walked before but would again if in the same position. However I'm not sure though if I would still of won the next contract if I had been on the bench all of the time. Sometimes it's the act of being in a contract that makes you look more wanted by others.

If there is not much in it money wise then I would consider taking the role if the technical aspect will improve your CV. If there is nothing new to learn then I would request an IR35 contract and increase in the rate.

I think that there is quite a bit of end clients and Agents cutting the rates a bit too far and just trying it on.

Reference the "Unfortunately, it's either their contract or no contract. Like it or lump it scenario." bit. I don't agree. They wrote the contract so they can write another or send then a PCG one.
            If they do not want to loose the contract then the agency will change the contract to reflect your concerns.

Good luck.
            Last edited by s2budd; 12 February 2009, 20:42.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
              Anyway, found out that the contract was still not IR35 compliant, even with all the special conditions. So walked away from it. The agency wasn't pleased. I'm not sure the client will be pleased either.
              I am confused....

Travel and accommodation are allowable expenses... Surely travel isn't a issue to make the contract viable ?

Comment

The travel and hotel expenses would have to fall within 5% claimable otherwise you might as well just be a permy.

Maybe request that expenses (travel & hotel) are paid by the end client - Fujitsu or the Agency.

Comment

Originally posted by s2budd View Post
                  The travel and hotel expenses would have to fall within 5% claimable otherwise you might as well just be a permy.

Maybe request that expenses (travel & hotel) are paid by the end client - Fujitsu or the Agency.
                  Erm no....

Travel and Accommodation is in addition to the 5%....

Comment

Originally posted by oafc0000 View Post
                    Erm no....

Travel and Accommodation is in addition to the 5%....
                    Regardless of who is right, at the end of the day, the cost of taking the contract would have been higher than what I would be getting. There was no room for negotiation. End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                      I didn't say I wasn't. I was just responding to the statement that was made about the advantage of being a permie. As a contractor, where an agreement exists, the client would also pay for travelling to locations other than the home "work" location. So the argument was a bit muted.

I stand corrected - good luck in finding another role...
                      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Working...
                      X