• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legality of False Advertising

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legality of False Advertising

Is it legal to advertise fictitious roles?

Does the advertising law (if any) apply to contracts?

Can someone point me to the actual law ( if it has been passed) and when it was ennacted?

I believe the penalty for advertising should be death for the first offence.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by McBainCo View Post

Can someone point me to the actual law ( if it has been passed) and when it was ennacted?
      I wouldn't have though so, the law and advertising relates mainly to "claims" of what products can and cannot do, and rubbishing competitors.

I don't see an agency advertising something that doesn't exist as being wrong - after all some shops advertise sale items which aren't in stock...
      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

I put the same question to Jobserver admin about 4 years ago and they gave me a reply that effectively said 'no its not legal, we have a code of conduct that our advertisers should adhere to but wtf do you expect us to do about it anyway?'

I'll see if I still have it in my mail archive.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor View Post
          I put the same question to Jobserver admin about 4 years ago and they gave me a reply that effectively said 'no its not legal, we have a code of conduct that our advertisers should adhere to but wtf do you expect us to do about it anyway?'

I'll see if I still have it in my mail archive.
          To which you could have responded...

"Enforce your code of conduct... what else?"
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I can't think why there would be any specific legislation against it, however any site that wishes to maintain their integrity surely should try and prevent them.

Comment

there are very obvious ones on Jobserve, but for most of these fictitious jobs I reckon it'd be pretty difficult to prove it was fake

The agent will usually say one of the following:

- the role has been filled
              - they have filled the role internally
              - the role is no longer available as the budget has been pulled

and many more.

So how do you get them to prove any of these?

Comment

What sort of false advertising are they referring to?

on this link: http://www.computing.co.uk/computing...tising-3900811

I agree that proving it is difficult, but surely they must have had a brief?

Thanks for your views!

Comment

I'm going to apply the oft-quoted "Tradesman" rule here -

If you got a quote for a plumber to fit a new toilet, and then decided you didn't want it done, would he be able to sue you on the grounds of "false advertising"?

I think not...

Or, more pertinently, if you advertised on Gumtree for a plumber to come and fit a new toilet, one contacted you, came out and did you a quote, and when he got there you told him the toilet had already been fixed. Could he then sue you for "false advertising"?

Not sure about that one, but again I don't think so... He probably wouldn't like you very much, and would refrain fro answering your postings in the future. He might even tell all his plumber friends you're a time-waster. But I don't think he could sue you...

Thoughts, everyone?

Comment

How do you define "a real job".

if a hiring manager simply says if "you have any Cobol programmers I am interested in seeing their Cvs". Is that defined as an actual job?
                    Or does it need to have 10 pages of job specs, plus H&S rules and everything else?
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X