• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Bench Time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Bench Time

I have finished a contract in Nov and have not had any luck finding my next contract gig.

I am a .NET/C# Developer with 6 yrs exp, ASP.NET, winforms, WCF, T-SQL ... usual stuff ... mainly worked in finance.

Since I may be on the bench for a few months, what new skills are worth learning??
    (been considering maybe WPF, ASP MVC, Silverlight, iPhone ...)

Any suggestions appreciated ...

I maybe completely wrong on this one, but I reckon F# is going to be very lucrative in a few years time. It's not a skill set that many people will have, but the finance and power industries will be crying out for it. These industries are also the sort that will prefer to bring in contractors, than permies.

Probably a few years away though.
    Originally posted by cailin maith
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Cobol, CICS, Db2 is the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
        Cobol, CICS, Db2 is the future.
        I thought the future was QBasic.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

personally I don't see why we can't do everything with excel and macros
          Originally posted by cailin maith
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
            personally I don't see why we can't do everything with excel and macros
            That's discrimination... what's wrong with Word Macros or even Access flat-file tables?
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Lines View Post
              I have finished a contract in Nov and have not had any luck finding my next contract gig.

I am a .NET/C# Developer with 6 yrs exp, ASP.NET, winforms, WCF, T-SQL ... usual stuff ... mainly worked in finance.

Since I may be on the bench for a few months, what new skills are worth learning??
              (been considering maybe WPF, ASP MVC, Silverlight, iPhone ...)

Any suggestions appreciated ...
              I reckon Silverlight could be big if MS continue to aggressively push it. iPhone certainly has lots of people making stuff, but probably smaller companies with smaller budgets.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Seems your problem, and indeed mine, is the 'mainly worked in finance' bit.

20+ years in insurance, even as a contractor, isn't get me many interviews these days, so diversification of industries is the key rather than digging the very deep well of technical expertise.

just my 2 cents worth...

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                  Seems your problem, and indeed mine, is the 'mainly worked in finance' bit.

20+ years in insurance, even as a contractor, isn't get me many interviews these days, so diversification of industries is the key rather than digging the very deep well of technical expertise.

just my 2 cents worth...
                  WHS

you may have to consider a hell of a cut in your rate to get into another industry
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    WHS

you may have to consider a hell of a cut in your rate to get into another industry

I've been telling agents that I'm prepared to do this, for years, (even to the extent of cutting it to zero for a trial)

None of them are the slightest bit interested in trying. Spending 2 minutes looking for the round peg, to fit into the round hole and then moving on to try to fill the next round hole is the MO that (they think) gives them the best return for their effort.

tim
                    Last edited by tim123; 27 January 2009, 13:15.

Comment

Working...
                    X