• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV formatting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV formatting

Hi guys,

Little bit of CV advice if you please.

Currently I have a really small bio at the top, then technical skills section, then into professional experience.

Now because I've now had quite a few roles over the years, I try to keep the CV down to 3 pages. BUT I'm afraid I'm not providing enough information on recent jobs.

I lay out each job like:

Nov 08 – Feb 09 CLIENTCO London
    Senior Developer

Skills used: C#, ASP.NET 3.5, MS SQL 2005, Visual Studio 2008

 Project A – Created a system to do something cool, that was really useful.
     Project B – Helped put new processes in place. Rar rar rar...

Now I'm thinking due to these 3-4month contracts looking basically like that, maybe I should have a paragraph before the projects to say responsibilities and other things like "project completed on time, etc.."

My longer contracts look fine as I have loads more bullet points and it looks more impressive, but maybe I should have a paragraph infront of those too.

But I dont want to make the CV huge, 5-6 page CV's bore me to hell.

Thank you please.

:-)

Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
    Hi guys,

Little bit of CV advice if you please.

Currently I have a really small bio at the top, then technical skills section, then into professional experience.

Now because I've now had quite a few roles over the years, I try to keep the CV down to 3 pages. BUT I'm afraid I'm not providing enough information on recent jobs.

I lay out each job like:

Nov 08 – Feb 09 CLIENTCO London
    Senior Developer

Skills used: C#, ASP.NET 3.5, MS SQL 2005, Visual Studio 2008

 Project A – Created a system to do something cool, that was really useful.
     Project B – Helped put new processes in place. Rar rar rar...

Now I'm thinking due to these 3-4month contracts looking basically like that, maybe I should have a paragraph before the projects to say responsibilities and other things like "project completed on time, etc.."

My longer contracts look fine as I have loads more bullet points and it looks more impressive, but maybe I should have a paragraph infront of those too.

But I dont want to make the CV huge, 5-6 page CV's bore me to hell.

Thank you please.

:-)
    http://www.contractoruk.com/news/00383.html

Tailor your CV for the role, rather than a generic one that tries to fit all roles. If you get asked questions in the interview what you did in the roles you weren't descriptive on, then answer it there... otherwise only state what is relevant.

HTH.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Be more descriptive on the more recent roles and less on the older ones.
      Paragraph + bulletp points on the most recent, especially if it is relavent to the role,. Bullet points only on the oldest ones. Pimps and hiring managers rarely read past the first page anyway and they are just looking for buzzwords that match the job description.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

WHS

I have three main versions of my CV that emphasise my experience at delivering different kinds of projects; I also have a master version that is suitable for roles that are more generalised.

Agents have told me 4 pages max but I try to keep it down to three.

Comment

Got mine down to 8 pages and have had no problems. Due to the fact that I've worked on many different types of hardware and software within projects I need to put that information in. I have a first page with personal information then the second page has a brief description (Profile Summary) of my abilities, technical skills (including how many years) and then I go onto each project, i.e.:

Type of industry (no company names)
          Position held and dates in that position (I've held various positions during contracts)
          Project details
          Software and hardware
          Tasks
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            Got mine down to 8 pages.......
            8 PAGES!!!! Thats called a thesis not a cv!!

Comment

i think 3 pages is still one page too many.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                8 PAGES!!!! Thats called a thesis not a cv!!

Comment

My CV = 1 page.

I just photocopy my butt. When the client sees that the sun really does shine out my ass, I get the gig.

Comment

Come on guys. I was expecting a comment like "Your CV is the CV of an ar$ehole". I had a bet with myself that abuse would start within 15 minutes.

Wheres my abuse godammit!

Comment

Working...
                    X