• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How you schedule your projects? (PM Poll)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Wow, I don't know what any of those are. And technically I am managing a project
    so Mr. d000hg - how do you plan / schedule then, if you need help I am available on a part time basis
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

To me PERT charts and network diagrams are just the initial stages of creating the activities and logic in a fully resourced Gant.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
        so Mr. d000hg - how do you plan / schedule then, if you need help I am available on a part time basis
        I guess I just look at the work required and the people I have available and figure out who can do what when.

My PM software runs about as far as an GoogleDoc spreadsheet right now, but there are only 2-3 of us on the project
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Another guy who works on small projects and uses spreadsheets.
          RS.

Comment

I don't understand why anyone uses spreadsheets for "planning". Regardless of the size of project, Microsoft Project or similar is specifically designed to make planning simpler....that's what it's for!

Comment

Originally posted by opc View Post
              I don't understand why anyone uses spreadsheets for "planning". Regardless of the size of project, Microsoft Project or similar is specifically designed to make planning simpler....that's what it's for!
              I'm glad you said that. Many moons ago when I was still a Senior Programmer, I used to try to use spreadsheets to plan who does what modules, when and so on but the dependency planning and correlation with calendars was a full-time job in itself.

There are loads of free, simple planning tools out there. I use jxProject until I get my mitts on the client's corporate MS Project. It is not polished, but it is free-ish (adware) and does the bare minimum. It is easily good enough for projects with 100 detail lines. It is quirky and buggy and there must be good, free, open source ones out there by now.
              Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

A list of tasks and their estimated time to finish.

Software gets finished when it gets finished, ask the client what they want, put estimates on each job and then tell them to decide to think of an end date and they use the estimates to decide what they want in by that date.

You wonder how they ever finished the pyramids without excel.

Comment

MS project and Gantt charts are good for forcing you to think carefully of the sequence, visualising all those dependencies, and highlighting chokepoints. The overhead of entering all the detail though means it's a PITA for smaller projects.

There's a great quote that often springs to mind when planning projects, something along the lines of "No plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the enemy..."

Also, "I love deadlines, especially the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

Comment

Originally posted by opc View Post
                    Yes but when my line manager used to use this, he seemed to spend most of his time fighting it... and he was a pretty on-the-ball guy and it was only a small (<10 person) project.
                    I think it's slightly over the top for a tiny project, especially if you have to train other people how to read the plans/reports.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X