• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Negotiating rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by omen666
    He is suggesting he doesn't know my rate and hasn't specifically asked the agent what margin they are applying otherwise he could do the maths.
    Tell him then.

Your general approach is correct and you must, of course, be prepared to walk if you don't get the rate you want, but it seems both you and the client are pussy footing around the issue. As I said, it does take two to tango and are you really sure that both you and the client are up for the next dance?

Comment

I believe that quite often the client is contractually forbidden from revealing the rate they give to the agency. After all it is a commercial secret since the contract is between the client and the agency, and not you. My previous client let me know the rate, but others didn't know. The bloke who signed the documents for my current client would not tell me the rate. He said that the last time he revealed it, there was a massive hoohah. But with a little gentle haggling I got him to confirm that the client has a policy to restrict agencies to between 15% and 21%, and he confirmed that I was not being screwed, which was all I wanted to know.

Fungus.

Comment

Well we've had a tango and confirmed the agent is taking 25%

So not as bad as I suspected, but we both sorted out the amounts we are comfortable with and now the agent is getting arsy

So we are waiting the agent out. Bottom line they will take the deal it is still 15%.

If they don't am I free 'agent'? I opted out of emp regs, but where does that leave me?

Common sense says if the agent 'walks' from the deal, it between myself and the client to do as we like. But I am aware common sense is a rare decider in this world.

Comment

What you do is work out what you want, what is your market worth. Then simply put this forward to the agent. What cut the agent takes is between him and the client. Either the agent says yes or no. Market forces will push the margin down.

Golden rule number one - don't involve the client

Once you involve the client and collude he'll also want something out of it. If he realises the agent's taking 25% he'll push the agent to drop the rate that he's paying, so in the end you'll get a lot less than if you were to push the agent alone, unless of course you have a "philanthropic" client, which I haven't yet seen.

Look at it on the positive side, discovering a "generous margin" is like discovering a bag of gold in the pavement, its yours for the taking, so why point it out to someone else?
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 7 October 2005, 07:48.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Valid stuff and yes I have stated my position and won't move from it. Agent knows I'll move on if it doesn't happen.

We'll see.....

Comment

Originally posted by omen666
              Valid stuff and yes I have stated my position and won't move from it. Agent knows I'll move on if it doesn't happen.

We'll see.....

Well we tango'd and the agent has taken my price and clients price and had 10% knocked off their margin

So my company and the client are happy, not sure about the agent though

Its still a good result for them though really, just a more balanced arrangement all round

Comment

Agents!!

Think the fact that the agent wouldn't disclose the rate tells you that he was trying to pull a fast one - we have a policy to be totally open with rates - if all agents where the same then maybe there wouldn't be such a divide between agents and contractors

Owen - was going to suggest that you check your contract and see if there where any restrictive clauses in your contract that stop you going back to the client for a certain amount of time! May have been a way around it!

Also how did your "friend" get on finding his contractors??

Comment

even if opted out you can still negotiate with an agency and client about going direct, you can usually agree something like a placement fee instead, effectively buying out their original agreement. (ive done this in the past)
                  its all down to all parties being happy with it. If not then no it wont happen.

I know from all these posts that it shouldnt matter what the agent gets as long as you get what you asked for but say you get 300 and the agent 600 then yes i would expect 99% of you to be pi**ed off, YOU the contractor does all the work, agencies have only found you and done a little bit of paperwork that certainly isnt costing 300 a day is it (even my accountant doesnt charge that and they do all my paye/nic/vat)!!

I have also had the customer come to me and say well you are a little expensive to which i say well i was hoping to increase my rate (cos in yr mind it was low) its at this point you find out the margin and yes at this point you need to reneg the agent margin in order to keep yr job, it can be done as the agent wont want to lose the client so they are potentially likely to make some small adjustments. But it still anoys the hell out of you to be in this position in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                  X