• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    I usually reply that I have a couple of other interviews lined up, but that "I'm sure you'll appreciate, the other agencies have asked me to be discreet about their clients, as I'm sure you would not want me to discuss your role with another agency".
    There's nowhere to go from that. If they try the hard sell "I can't put you forward unless you tell me what you've had for breakfast, and email me the numbers of everyone you've ever worked with", I thank them for their time and tell them I wish them well, but that I can't acquiesce to their demands.
    This is pretty much the stance I take. if they push for further info, you know its a fishing trip

Comment

Speaking of fishing by agents, several times in the last couple of months I've been cold-called by agents who have spotted my CV on Jobserve. They invariably have a 10 minute chat, act like my best mate, say how great my CV is, and end up saying they'll email me with their contact details - but that email never arrives and I never hear from them again.

It's made me worried that, despite my (allegedly) great CV, something in my telephone manner is putting them off . Or is this normal dodgy agent behaviour?

Comment

Originally posted by Kess View Post
        Speaking of fishing by agents, several times in the last couple of months I've been cold-called by agents who have spotted my CV on Jobserve. They invariably have a 10 minute chat, act like my best mate, say how great my CV is, and end up saying they'll email me with their contact details - but that email never arrives and I never hear from them again.

It's made me worried that, despite my (allegedly) great CV, something in my telephone manner is putting them off . Or is this normal dodgy agent behaviour?
        Do they ask you where you live? And when you're going to be out? And if you have a "home office" with a laptop and some other goodies?

Comment

Would it not be easier for Phishing Agents to send emails with embedded SpyWare that would in turn send them reports of Interviews etc by scanning the candidates email system ?

I imagine such an Agency Spyware item would be worth a lot on the black market.

Comment

I always say I have loads of interviews lined up to show how in demand I am
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              I always say I have loads of interviews lined up to show how in demand I am

This is a double-edge sword IMO - yes, it can show you are in demand, but agencies often won't progress your application if they think you are going to get a role somewhere else in the mean time with someone else - it's wasted effort on their part.

Comment

It's worth playing down the other offers/interviews when first speaking to the pimp, such as "I have another interview lined up, the rate's good, but I'm not keen on the location/company/specific role etc" so the pimp thinks it's worth their effort to get you an interview, then if you get offered the gig, play up the advantages of the other offer (great rate, etc) so the pimp doesn't think you'll roll over and take whatever crappy rate they offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
                  It's worth playing down the other offers/interviews when first speaking to the pimp, such as "I have another interview lined up, the rate's good, but I'm not keen on the location/company/specific role etc" so the pimp thinks it's worth their effort to get you an interview, then if you get offered the gig, play up the advantages of the other offer (great rate, etc) so the pimp doesn't think you'll roll over and take whatever crappy rate they offer.
                  my personal favourite approach is to mention it in passing when they are talking seriously of offer so they know that you aren't totally desperate and would take crap rate - I never lie though, would only say it if I did have other pipeline possibilities

The Cat
                  The Cat

Comment

Working...
                  X