• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Agent question

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agent question"

Collapse

• bombaycat
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    It's worth playing down the other offers/interviews when first speaking to the pimp, such as "I have another interview lined up, the rate's good, but I'm not keen on the location/company/specific role etc" so the pimp thinks it's worth their effort to get you an interview, then if you get offered the gig, play up the advantages of the other offer (great rate, etc) so the pimp doesn't think you'll roll over and take whatever crappy rate they offer.
    my personal favourite approach is to mention it in passing when they are talking seriously of offer so they know that you aren't totally desperate and would take crap rate - I never lie though, would only say it if I did have other pipeline possibilities

The Cat

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    It's worth playing down the other offers/interviews when first speaking to the pimp, such as "I have another interview lined up, the rate's good, but I'm not keen on the location/company/specific role etc" so the pimp thinks it's worth their effort to get you an interview, then if you get offered the gig, play up the advantages of the other offer (great rate, etc) so the pimp doesn't think you'll roll over and take whatever crappy rate they offer.

Leave a comment:

• Dante
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I always say I have loads of interviews lined up to show how in demand I am

This is a double-edge sword IMO - yes, it can show you are in demand, but agencies often won't progress your application if they think you are going to get a role somewhere else in the mean time with someone else - it's wasted effort on their part.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I always say I have loads of interviews lined up to show how in demand I am

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Would it not be easier for Phishing Agents to send emails with embedded SpyWare that would in turn send them reports of Interviews etc by scanning the candidates email system ?

I imagine such an Agency Spyware item would be worth a lot on the black market.

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Kess View Post
    Speaking of fishing by agents, several times in the last couple of months I've been cold-called by agents who have spotted my CV on Jobserve. They invariably have a 10 minute chat, act like my best mate, say how great my CV is, and end up saying they'll email me with their contact details - but that email never arrives and I never hear from them again.

It's made me worried that, despite my (allegedly) great CV, something in my telephone manner is putting them off . Or is this normal dodgy agent behaviour?
    Do they ask you where you live? And when you're going to be out? And if you have a "home office" with a laptop and some other goodies?

Leave a comment:

• Kess
    replied
    Speaking of fishing by agents, several times in the last couple of months I've been cold-called by agents who have spotted my CV on Jobserve. They invariably have a 10 minute chat, act like my best mate, say how great my CV is, and end up saying they'll email me with their contact details - but that email never arrives and I never hear from them again.

It's made me worried that, despite my (allegedly) great CV, something in my telephone manner is putting them off . Or is this normal dodgy agent behaviour?

Leave a comment:

• NiceUpNorth
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    I usually reply that I have a couple of other interviews lined up, but that "I'm sure you'll appreciate, the other agencies have asked me to be discreet about their clients, as I'm sure you would not want me to discuss your role with another agency".
    There's nowhere to go from that. If they try the hard sell "I can't put you forward unless you tell me what you've had for breakfast, and email me the numbers of everyone you've ever worked with", I thank them for their time and tell them I wish them well, but that I can't acquiesce to their demands.
    This is pretty much the stance I take. if they push for further info, you know its a fishing trip

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    I usually reply that I have a couple of other interviews lined up, but that "I'm sure you'll appreciate, the other agencies have asked me to be discreet about their clients, as I'm sure you would not want me to discuss your role with another agency".
    There's nowhere to go from that. If they try the hard sell "I can't put you forward unless you tell me what you've had for breakfast, and email me the numbers of everyone you've ever worked with", I thank them for their time and tell them I wish them well, but that I can't acquiesce to their demands.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
    In my experience, agents you ask you this to gauge out how other agents / clients perceive you in the marketplace.
    Most pimps can't even string that sentence together, let alone understand it's meaning!!

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    And the moon is made of cheese.

tim
    And the cow jumped over the moon, therefore making it into cheese.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Interesting, I hear different opinions on this but in practice when I say I am interviewing their ears usually pricck up and I get a second phone call back from them wanting to set up an interview or talk further. And I mean good as in sellable.

So what do you say when agents ask you this?
    Initially I use to tell them of any interviews I use to have.. they then use to ask who the clients were. After that, I never use to hear back from them. Since coming here, I learnt about agencies fishing for contacts, so I just tell them that I don't have any interviews or any leads unless I have an element of trust with the agency (i.e. I have worked through them in the past). I may tell them that I am working on a few opportunities, but would leave it at that. It is none of their business what I am working on.... Regardless of what they promise to do. If they have anything that matched my skills, it wouldn't matter to them what I am or am not working on. If they want to know how good I am... get me an interview.... get me the contract... and then ask for some references... or even better, look at my linked in references.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    In my experience, agents you ask you this to gauge out how other agents / clients perceive you in the marketplace.
    And the moon is made of cheese.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Peter Loew
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    1st Bold. That's an urban myth as far as I am aware. They are phishing to see if you will tell them the companies you are interviewing with. If the agent can't see how your clients perceive you based on the work you have done... then how would having interviews be any different?

2nd Bold. It only tells the agency that you are interviewing, nothing else. They are trying to find out if you are on the market and available. It doesn't tell them that you are good.
    Interesting, I hear different opinions on this but in practice when I say I am interviewing their ears usually pricck up and I get a second phone call back from them wanting to set up an interview or talk further. And I mean good as in sellable.

So what do you say when agents ask you this?

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    In my experience, agents you ask you this to gauge out how other agents / clients perceive you in the marketplace. I always say that I have a couple more things on the go because it gives the agent the impression that you are a good, sought after candidate; in short that other agents / clients are interested in you. And people always want want other people are chasing after...

Just don't give them any leads or refs when they ask you who else you're interviewing for.
    1st Bold. That's an urban myth as far as I am aware. They are phishing to see if you will tell them the companies you are interviewing with. If the agent can't see how your clients perceive you based on the work you have done... then how would having interviews be any different?

2nd Bold. It only tells the agency that you are interviewing, nothing else. They are trying to find out if you are on the market and available. It doesn't tell them that you are good.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X