• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracts terminated as policy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracts terminated as policy

Current client has a nasty habit of terminating contractors they don't need mid-contract rather than waiting for contracts to expire, and yet they are still hiring the odd new role and giving out long-term contracts, which of course no one expects to be honoured.

Seems a bit off to me. I know that many banks have cut rates mid-term, but terminating mid-contract as a normal business practice seems a bit unethical somehow.
    Cats are evil.

Not sure about unethical. But it certainly gives them a bad reputation!

Comment

My last client ("consultancy" I guess is how they would describe themselves) is the same. 25 of us got 6 month extensions in September; now there are 5 contractors left.

I've always been of the opinion that the client is in their right to get rid of me if they think I'm rubbish, but I don't expect to be canned just because they can't budget or plan a project.

However, that seems to be changing at the moment...
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

What people need to understand is that, so long as there is a notice period clause in the contract, the contract is effectively never really longer than that notice period.

If you sign a contract for 6 months but there's a 2-week notice period, you're never really more than 2 weeks away from being let go. You are only there at the discretion of the employing entity.

RBS recently used this to their advantage when they wanted to cut contractor rates across the board. What they did was to invoke the notice period for all the contractors and basically offered everyone new contracts at the lower rate. Some left but the majority stayed on at the lower rate.

The moral of the story? Don't rely/depend on a contract lasting any longer than the notice period!

If you think that signing a longer-term contract gives you more stability, this is also not necessarily true. Since rate changes usually only take place at the time of contract renewal, all a longer contract will buy you is the guarantee that your rate will not change until the contract is due for renewal.

- CDM

Comment

As long that is in the contract I find it perfectly legitimate.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            As long that is in the contract I find it perfectly legitimate.
            Legitimate it may be, but I would think twice before going back in the future.

Comment

The annoying thing is I've turned down some strong possible roles because I'm 'in contract' until August. In reality I may be better jumping to an uncertain rolling three month contact than seeing out my twelve months here that may see me binned this afternoon.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                The annoying thing is I've turned down some strong possible roles because I'm 'in contract' until August. In reality I may be better jumping to an uncertain rolling three month contact than seeing out my twelve months here that may see me binned this afternoon.
                I always only sign 3 month contracts, it means you are never too far away from having options and being able to negitiate.

Remember if they want to get rid, they will as they have the notice periods.

Absolutely no benefit in signing up for longer than 3 months in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurficus View Post
                  Legitimate it may be, but I would think twice before going back in the future.
                  That too would be legitimate.

Comment

How often do you read about someone on here that are in the middle of a contract/just started one but are offered a higher paying role asking whether they should jump ship?

Par for the course really.

Comment

Working...
                    X