• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing ltd co part way through contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing ltd co part way through contract

Considering suggestion by accountant to wind up existing ltd co and form a new one. This way, I'd qualify for VAT FRS extra discount for 1 year. Also, in part to lessen IR35 impact by closing the current ltd co.

Now, I could wait until the current contract ends in June 09 but dont really want to wait that long so, has anyone closed their existing ltd co and opened a new one during a contract and billed from there on via new ltd co? Has anyone found agents difficult over this, particularly Parity who Im currently through?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Now, I could wait until the current contract ends in June 09 but dont really want to wait that long so, has anyone closed their existing ltd co and opened a new one during a contract and billed from there on via new ltd co? Has anyone found agents difficult over this, particularly Parity who Im currently through?
    I did it a few years ago with one of the larger city agencies. They were fine about it, simply issuing a replacement contract.

Not sure if you were thinking of applying for BATR/ER, but recently(saw it on the PCG forums) a contractor had it rejected apparently based on the fact that they had set a new ltd at the same time they closed the first one down. The capital gain had to taxed as dividend.

Comment

Originally posted by max View Post
      I did it a few years ago with one of the larger city agencies. They were fine about it, simply issuing a replacement contract.

Not sure if you were thinking of applying for BATR/ER, but recently(saw it on the PCG forums) a contractor had it rejected apparently based on the fact that they had set a new ltd at the same time they closed the first one down. The capital gain had to taxed as dividend.

BATR\ER? No but what's that?

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        BATR\ER? No but what's that?
        Business Assets Taper Relief / Entrepreneurs Relief.

If there is cash in your Limited Company it may be possible to get this treated as a capital gain when the company is closed and that cash is paid over to you. This may have tax advantages depending on your circumstances.

The example cited was one where the Inland Revenue did not accept that the business was ceasing because a new Ltd Co was formed straight away.

Comment

Hypothetically - could you not leave the first company dormant rather than setting up a new one?

End up with a load of dormant companies not doing anything, but that might be better than closing the company completely and possibly paying capital gains tax on it.

IANAA (and I have no idea whether this is a good / bad or indifferent idea).
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Hypothetically - could you not leave the first company dormant rather than setting up a new one?

End up with a load of dormant companies not doing anything, but that might be better than closing the company completely and possibly paying capital gains tax on it.

IANAA (and I have no idea whether this is a good / bad or indifferent idea).
            I think he wants to close it to reduce any possibility of investigations (IR35 etc). A dormant company would not provide as much comfort.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
              I think he wants to close it to reduce any possibility of investigations (IR35 etc). A dormant company would not provide as much comfort.
              Ah - missed that in the original post.

IIRC, though, HMRC won't let you just close a company until they are satisfied, so is there a chance that by trying to close the company it might bring on an investigation?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Ah - missed that in the original post.

IIRC, though, HMRC won't let you just close a company until they are satisfied, so is there a chance that by trying to close the company it might bring on an investigation?
                This is correct but the accountant says while its a risk, in practice, it is a lesser risk.

Comment

Working...
                X