• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Germany without a visa?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you work in Germany, you pay tax in Germany (although Americans have a special agreement.) I have seen people come over here from the UK thinking that they could get away with paying no tax and the men in long black coats coming along and investigating them, to their serious detriment (tax authorities here have probably more power than the police.)

Comment

If you can arrange everything through your UK company via the UK agency, then you would be subject to all the UK taxes etc. including UK VAT as you would be billing a UK agency.

IR35 is something you shouldn't be too worried about because eventually you will go home to Australia, at which point the UK IR will no longer be interested in you, but it always best to try and make the contract non-IR35 if you can.

Comment

Just a point here, simply billing a UK company does not exempt you from German tax. The law is very clear on that. The Americans renewing their visas every three months were simply breaking the law (certainly they would after six months working, as they´re liable for German tax).

There are many people who come to Germany and simply evade tax. Sometimes they´re not aware of it.Some get away with it and some get caught.

The only way to clarify this is to take legal advice. As for residency I don´t see how a UK working visa allows you to work in Germany, but I´m not an expert. I know Americans who weren´t able to work in the UK although they had a German work permit.

Comment

simply billing a UK company does not exempt you from German tax
          Yes, there's agreements in place all through the EU - if you spend over 180 days in any one country you're considered resident for tax in that country. A 90 day contract wouldn't mean you have to pay German tax, but you would have to pay UK tax (since that's where you're currently tax resident).

Comment

..woops yes Freddy is quite right here (you only want to work 90 days, too busy reading the other mails). Just check up on the VAT, and the work permit. Shouldn´t be a problem.

Comment

<<I am currently in UK, with my own Limited company.

So I have been working in UK in the past 6 months, as I have the working holiday visa for UK.>>

Your working holiday visa does not allow you to work for your primary trade. By setting up a limited company you have broken the visa regulations.

I hope you get deported>:

Comment

Working...
              X