• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming laptop bought before started company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming laptop bought before started company

Hi guys,

Hope everyone's having a great christmas!

I'm going to go limited when I get my next contract (hopefully 2nd week of january...but might fall through)

ANYWAY... I'm in need of a new laptop, and I want to buy it soon, I remember reading on here before that myLTD could buy the laptop off of me, or claim it as an expense. but how long is that for?

I.e if i buy the laptop now...and then go LTD in march, can I still put the laptop through the company to right it off against profits?? is there a time limit?

Thanks!!

Hi Meh! (Love the username...!)

As I understand it yourCo can buy the laptop from you personally at any time, it doesnt really matter so long as there is an audit trail & a legal "sale" happening there. I'm not sure about the premature purchasing for company but you can certainly buy it personally & then make a sale to yourCo when it's running

Now, there may be some better versed people that I around who say different & I will bow to their knowledge, but that's my understanding of it.

Just promise me you won't get an Acer...please!!

Comment

I believe that if you purchase the laptop within 6 months of setting up your company, you can claim the full amount.

If you setup your company after 6 months of purchasing the laptop then you can only reclaim the market value of the laptop.

As ever, I am not qualified to give this advice so would suggest you ask an accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        I believe that if you purchase the laptop within 6 months of setting up your company, you can claim the full amount.

If you setup your company after 6 months of purchasing the laptop then you can only reclaim the market value of the laptop.

As ever, I am not qualified to give this advice so would suggest you ask an accountant.
        If the OP is buying it for the purpose of his / her Ltd company, it may be prudent to think of the business name (even though the intent is to set up the company in a few months time) and use that when purchasing the Laptop, as this would possibly make it easier to claim it against the business cost.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Amateurs! In true Enron and Lehman Brothers style your laptop becomes an asset off your Cayman Island company that pays only £500 per year fixed tax. Your Cayman Island company leases the laptop to your UK company together with training at a rate of £1500 per month. You then withdraw the cash from the Cayman Islands via a numbered ATM account.

By the way Lehman Bros sent every penny off shore on a daily basis, when the auditors arrived the only cash left was in a separate account put aside for bonuses. Not even a slap on the wrist.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I did this (not the Enron thing, the buying a laptop before the company started thing). I even reclaimed the VAT.

It was about 2 months beforehand, but the accountant said it was fine to do this (as long as for business purposes etc.).
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
            X