• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Claiming laptop bought before started company"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    I did this (not the Enron thing, the buying a laptop before the company started thing). I even reclaimed the VAT.

It was about 2 months beforehand, but the accountant said it was fine to do this (as long as for business purposes etc.).

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Amateurs! In true Enron and Lehman Brothers style your laptop becomes an asset off your Cayman Island company that pays only £500 per year fixed tax. Your Cayman Island company leases the laptop to your UK company together with training at a rate of £1500 per month. You then withdraw the cash from the Cayman Islands via a numbered ATM account.

By the way Lehman Bros sent every penny off shore on a daily basis, when the auditors arrived the only cash left was in a separate account put aside for bonuses. Not even a slap on the wrist.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    I believe that if you purchase the laptop within 6 months of setting up your company, you can claim the full amount.

If you setup your company after 6 months of purchasing the laptop then you can only reclaim the market value of the laptop.

As ever, I am not qualified to give this advice so would suggest you ask an accountant.
    If the OP is buying it for the purpose of his / her Ltd company, it may be prudent to think of the business name (even though the intent is to set up the company in a few months time) and use that when purchasing the Laptop, as this would possibly make it easier to claim it against the business cost.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    I believe that if you purchase the laptop within 6 months of setting up your company, you can claim the full amount.

If you setup your company after 6 months of purchasing the laptop then you can only reclaim the market value of the laptop.

As ever, I am not qualified to give this advice so would suggest you ask an accountant.

Leave a comment:

• TheVoice
    replied
    Hi Meh! (Love the username...!)

As I understand it yourCo can buy the laptop from you personally at any time, it doesnt really matter so long as there is an audit trail & a legal "sale" happening there. I'm not sure about the premature purchasing for company but you can certainly buy it personally & then make a sale to yourCo when it's running

Now, there may be some better versed people that I around who say different & I will bow to their knowledge, but that's my understanding of it.

Just promise me you won't get an Acer...please!!

Leave a comment:

• Mehmeh
    started a topic Claiming laptop bought before started company

Claiming laptop bought before started company

Hi guys,

Hope everyone's having a great christmas!

I'm going to go limited when I get my next contract (hopefully 2nd week of january...but might fall through)

ANYWAY... I'm in need of a new laptop, and I want to buy it soon, I remember reading on here before that myLTD could buy the laptop off of me, or claim it as an expense. but how long is that for?

I.e if i buy the laptop now...and then go LTD in march, can I still put the laptop through the company to right it off against profits?? is there a time limit?

Thanks!!

Working...
X