• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another 'they have already filled the position' phone call

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another 'they have already filled the position' phone call

This has happened a few time to me now; does anyone else get the following scenario?:
    1. I get a call from an agent about a role which I know exists
    2. They want to put me forward and I tell them yes do it
    3. No reply for a week
    4. I chase up and they tell me that the client has already filled the role a couple of days ago without me even getting an interview

• - I know my CV is strong and I've been told this many times
    • - For some of these roles my CV seems to be a very close fit and I find it hard to believe I would not get even an interview
    • - I have doubt in my mind that I was actually put forward for any of these roles
    • - These agents are f***ing with my career

Anyone else have similar experiences? Or is it simply because the contract market is flooded with PMs or something?

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
    Or is it simply because the contract market is flooded with PMs or something?

No, they're just f***ing with your career.

Sometimes Agents act like this to stop competition. They have their preferred candidate, probably someone who will work for far less and give them a bigger slice, and then "represent" you to stop others putting your C.V. forward.

Comment

On a related note. Does anyone on here turn down the "offer" of being put forward to a client for a role, when it sounds similar to a role you've already been put forward for, by another agent?
      i.e. what is it to you if you tell 5 agencies to represent you for a particular role.
      If the agents get shirty, you can always claim ignorance, and that the other agency described the role differently, so you genuinely thought there was more than one position.

I wouldn't take the agents word when they say they've forwarded my cv to the client, as there may be several advantages to them letting me believe that I'm being considered for a contract when I'm not. A prime example given by scotchpie.

Comment

The market is only flooded with crap PMs. All the good ones are gainfully employed thank you very much.

And no, I've not had this happen to me. But then I'm very careful about who I let have my CV.
        Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
          No, they're just f***ing with your career.

Sometimes Agents act like this to stop competition. They have their preferred candidate, probably someone who will work for far less and give them a bigger slice, and then "represent" you to stop others putting your C.V. forward.
          WHS

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            WHS
            WHS about WHS
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I tend to stick with just two large agencies now who have gotten me the last
              6 contracts, I tried the approach of just applying for anything on jobserve
              was a waste of time but I learnt a lot about tulip agents throw at you!.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
                The market is only flooded with crap PMs. All the good ones are gainfully employed thank you very much.

And no, I've not had this happen to me. But then I'm very careful about who I let have my CV.
                So every PM on the bench right now is crap? Take a hike.

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
                  I tend to stick with just two large agencies now who have gotten me the last
                  6 contracts, I tried the approach of just applying for anything on jobserve
                  was a waste of time but I learnt a lot about tulip agents throw at you!.
                  This is what I am going to look for now as well. Can you recommend any good PM specific agencies who actually have clients and understand what we do?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
                    So every PM on the bench right now is crap? Take a hike.
                    I think the point he was trying to make, however poorly, is that there are loads and loads of people out there who call themselves PMs, and apply for anything with the words "project manager" in the title.

In my experience though there are very few who can actually do the job, and still fewer who have actually done it and can back that up at an interview....so keep your chin up, you'll be fine.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                    X