• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another 'they have already filled the position' phone call

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just spoke to my ex girlfriend who funnily enough used to work for Hays in Australia. She said another reason this happens is because:
    • When these roles hit the agencies the client is filled with CVs from the agencies databases and in all probability one of these CVs is chosen and the candidate[s] interviewed.
    • However whilst this process is happening, agencies advertise the role on jobsites and call up other candidates in the (unlikely?) event that the current database CVs were not successful.
    • As a result of this your CV was probably NOT put forward to the client, but simply used as contingency / collateral for the agent who knew very well from the start that you were part of his / her backup plan and nothing more, but of course doesn't tell you any of this and lets you think you have been genuinely put forward for a role.

Comment

Exactly. So the trick is to build a relationship with a core set of agencies so that when a client contacts them with a role they phone you first...

Or better still go further up the food chain so that the client goes to you first. It's all about networking...really REALLY important these days.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
        I think the point he was trying to make, however poorly, is that there are loads and loads of people out there who call themselves PMs, and apply for anything with the words "project manager" in the title.

In my experience though there are very few who can actually do the job, and still fewer who have actually done it and can back that up at an interview....so keep your chin up, you'll be fine.
        I agree completely. I have worked with permies who wanted to take their PM career to the contract market. Of course I could never be completely honest with them and tell them they would not stand a chance.

On the flip side I've worked with some damn good permie PMs, who want to contract but don't have the balls to go out there and do it.

C'est la vie.

Comment

Working...
        X