• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two jobs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two jobs?

Can you have a permi job say for 2 days a week and a contract for 3 days?

Are there any major implications with this setup?

Can you have a permi job say for 2 days a week and a contract for 3 days? - YES

Are there any major implications with this setup? - NO

Comment

You would need to bear in mind how you intended working the contract gig, i.e. Ltd Co or Umbrella.
      I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Also, can you have a permie job for two days a week and pay yourself for the other 3 days out of reserve funds from your company account without actually having a contract or raising any money for the company?

(I asked that on another thread but didn't get an answer.)

Comment

Originally posted by Soled73 View Post
          Can you have a permi job say for 2 days a week and a contract for 3 days?

Are there any major implications with this setup?
          If both are paying you by PAYE (and I include your Ltd Co in that) then at least one of them should know about the other. And ask HMRC (they are really helpful, honest!) you may pay less than you expect.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
            Also, can you have a permie job for two days a week and pay yourself for the other 3 days out of reserve funds from your company account without actually having a contract or raising any money for the company?

Yes. Why should the company have to have a contract or an income at any given moment? Stop thinking that the contract pays you. It doesn't: the contract pays the company; and the company pays you. If you go round sounding as if the company is just a fictitious intermediary between the client and you, the govt might get ideas....

Comment

The job needs to allow this specifically in the contract. The contract/freelance stuff may also have non-compete clauses depending on what kind of work it is.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You are the (probably sole) director of your company. You can pay yourself for sitting at home doing nothing if you want.

Why wouldn't you be able to? You're not an employee of your end client FFS

Comment

What is stopping you from paying yourself a dividend for 365 days a year, regardless of whether you are employed or not? You may need to speak to your accountant on how much you can withdraw, but it is possible.
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Yes. Why should the company have to have a contract or an income at any given moment? Stop thinking that the contract pays you. It doesn't: the contract pays the company; and the company pays you.
                    Yes, I'm obviously aware of that. It's just that whenever I suggest something that appears to be perfectly legal to me on this forum then I get told "the taxman will notice", like I'm guilty and have to prove myself innocent. So I can never be sure what the difference is between "legal" and "what the taxman suspects".

My original thread, for example.

The other question I asked there, about deliberately reducing my own salary to a point where I couldn't afford the mortgage, so I could take a mortgage holiday according to the new government scheme, was met with that sort of comment, and yet you are effectively saying the opposite - i.e. my own company decides what and when it pays me.

Basically, whichever way one asks the question will get abuse on here and one has to rely on the taxman's mood when one is investigated anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X