• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent Test for contarct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent Test for contarct

Hi,

i have been sent Requirements in 2 page of word docs by an agent. there are around 5 user stories... and he wants me to write code, test cases, and said that client will check it... and the test is your interveiw... he wants code to follow standards, design patterns, and should be compilable, buildable...etc...

is it a fish? or agent has got something from rentacoder and trying developers like us to build... so that he can sell...

any idea?

nav

My guess is you'll work on it and never hear from the agent or client again as the job is fixed by a kind soul for no money.

My guess is that the client either a charity or a government agency/public body..

If you want to go for it do part of it and tell them that you'll explain your workings during the interview...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I wonder how many suckers fall for shyte like this from agents?
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by naveensoni View Post
        Hi,

i have been sent Requirements in 2 page of word docs by an agent. there are around 5 user stories... and he wants me to write code, test cases, and said that client will check it... and the test is your interveiw... he wants code to follow standards, design patterns, and should be compilable, buildable...etc...

is it a fish? or agent has got something from rentacoder and trying developers like us to build... so that he can sell...

any idea?

nav
        You're new aren't you. Do yourself a favour and go home.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
          You're new aren't you. Do yourself a favour and go home.
          Do us a all favour and answer people in a civil manner, there's no reason to act like an arrogant @rse in every post you make.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            Do us a all favour and answer people in a civil manner, there's no reason to act like an arrogant @rse in every post you make.
            Normally I would agree but I couldn't understand the OP either, sowwy!

Comment

Sounds like a permie post request to me.

The idea of being a skilled flexible resource is having these exact qualities already. I state quite clearly on my CV what I have to offer. The client is welcome to talk to me about what he wants and I'll tell him if I can do it or not. If the client wishes to talk with pevious companies I have worked for he is welcome to do so.

I do not need to be tested, interrogated, prodded or run round an obstacle course before I start a piece of work. To tell you the truth, I have no wish to work for a client who would want to do this anyway as we probably would have different ways of working and expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
                Sounds like a permie post request to me.

The idea of being a skilled flexible resource is having these exact qualities already. I state quite clearly on my CV what I have to offer. The client is welcome to talk to me about what he wants and I'll tell him if I can do it or not. If the client wishes to talk with pevious companies I have worked for he is welcome to do so.
                That's all very well until you come to the companies that require an audit trail of the process.

You may be prepared to let the new client speak to the old one, but if the old one's processes won't allow him to put his reference down in writing (as many wont) you are stuck.

IMHO refusing to take a test on principle is arrogant nonsense (though I agree the one that started this post is OTT).

trim

Comment

It's times like this that the FOAD rubber stamp was invented for. OP, want to borrow mine?

I suppose in the current climate there may be a tendency to put up with this nonsense, but normally it's one of the things I decline without a second thought or regret.

Maybe I've just got used to the 30 minute telephone interview, sometimes with the odd technical question but certainly not always, followed up by a face to face or even a can you start on monday. Hope those aren't turning into the good old days.

If you want to edge your bets, do the work but encrypt it and say you'll provide the decryption when you go to 'interview the client' to make sure you want to do work for them.
                  Last edited by PAH; 30 November 2008, 11:57.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
                    That's all very well until you come to the companies that require an audit trail of the process.

You may be prepared to let the new client speak to the old one, but if the old one's processes won't allow him to put his reference down in writing (as many wont) you are stuck.

IMHO refusing to take a test on principle is arrogant nonsense (though I agree the one that started this post is OTT).

trim
                    All my previous clients are willing to give a run down of what my company can do with a genuine request from another client. I obviously don't give their details to agents.

I respect but disagree with your opinion that is it arrogant to refuse tests. I don't test people that I use when I require services. I look for a good recommendation and that is sufficient. I honestly wouldn't want to work for someone who wanted to test people. It shows an appalling lack of trust and insecurity before I've even met them.

Maybe we work in completely different fields - the work that I do a two minute conversation would soon establish if you knew your onions or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X