• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent Test for contarct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Do us a all favour and answer people in a civil manner, there's no reason to act like an arrogant @rse in every post you make.
    Agree with ^^^

Naveen - This is without doubt a fishing exercise.

I know of two companies whom I have contracted for in the past who were known to call us in for interview and would pick our brains on how to do things - then only to say "you didn't get the role". Fair enough you say? NOONE got the role[s].

I only found this out when I worked for another division of one of the companies.

Would not surprise me if this kind of things gets worse in the current climate!

Comment

Thanks for all your response... i have sent him the stuff zipped.. let see if he come back to me.... will kee you all posted.

also please help me , about how to show short contracts (like 1 monthish) IN CV? does it make any impact in selection.

thanks
      nav

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
        Sounds like a permie post request to me.

The idea of being a skilled flexible resource is having these exact qualities already. I state quite clearly on my CV what I have to offer. The client is welcome to talk to me about what he wants and I'll tell him if I can do it or not. If the client wishes to talk with pevious companies I have worked for he is welcome to do so.

I do not need to be tested, interrogated, prodded or run round an obstacle course before I start a piece of work. To tell you the truth, I have no wish to work for a client who would want to do this anyway as we probably would have different ways of working and expectations.
        That's all very good for the honest dependable contractors but there are so many people who apply for roles who just blatantly lie on their CVs. My current ClientCo was trying to recruit several senior systems engineers and about 75% of people who came into interview were just blagging it and only had basic skills, not the vast levels of knowledge that you would expect from their CVs. I saw a couple of the CVs and I could spot basic mistakes on them like "Design expert in SQL Server 2003" - Do you mean SQL 2005?, 2003 doesnt exist, and as a design expert I would expect you to know that.

The current climate is only making this problem worse

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post

Someone applied for a senior development role where I'm working who needed excellent SQL skills. The CV described them as being an experienced SQL developer who has designed and maintained databases for their previous employer and which was used across all departments. The interview must have gone well because they got the position.

However, the fact that on day one they had to ask the difference between () and [] and when they should be used got many of us quietly asking questions about the decision to appoint.

Personnally I don't think Access wizards qualifies anyone to call themselves a developer - but that's only my interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
            I saw a couple of the CVs and I could spot basic mistakes on them like "Design expert in SQL Server 2003" - Do you mean SQL 2005?, 2003 doesnt exist, and as a design expert I would expect you to know that.

The candidate was probably told (by an agency) to change Access 2003 to SQL Server 2003. But I guess you already knew that.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
              The candidate was probably told (by an agency) to change Access 2003 to SQL Server 2003. But I guess you already knew that.
              Damn, I missed a version.

And anyone who hires someone on the strength of a Cv is an idiot.
              "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                Damn, I missed a version.
                And anyone who hires someone on the strength of a Cv is an idiot.
                So how should people be hired? Interviews are time-intensive and flawed (just look around at how many blaggers are around you - perm & contract).

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  It's times like this that the FOAD rubber stamp was invented for. OP, want to borrow mine?

I suppose in the current climate there may be a tendency to put up with this nonsense, but normally it's one of the things I decline without a second thought or regret.

Maybe I've just got used to the 30 minute telephone interview, sometimes with the odd technical question but certainly not always, followed up by a face to face or even a can you start on monday. Hope those aren't turning into the good old days.

If you want to edge your bets, do the work but encrypt it and say you'll provide the decryption when you go to 'interview the client' to make sure you want to do work for them.
                  Clever!

Comment

Working...
                  X