• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PI Insurance on Bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PI Insurance is (almost?) always underwritten on a "Date Claims Made" basis rather than a "Date Loss Occurred" basis which means you must have currently valid insurance at the date you make the claim against it.

They are insuring you against the likelihood of you making a claim in a 12 month period. There will be a limit on the amount you can claim in total in that 12 months usually - e.g. £1M.

Comment

Originally posted by supersteamer View Post
      that I need to keeping shelling out for insurance until every single system I've ever tinkered with is decommissioned?
      I think you will find that there is a statutory limit on claims. As long as you have cover over this period you are fine and then you can stop being insured. Please check with someone that is qualified though - I am not!!

Comment

Originally posted by supersteamer View Post
        The broker has confirmed that the insurance needs to be kept renewed up to date in case of legal claim.
        Eh, doesn't that mean, in case of paranoia, that I need to keeping shelling out for insurance until every single system I've ever tinkered with is decommissioned?
        I'd guess not, since they would need to sue your company rather than you personally (I think!).

It's probably worth keeping the insurance for a bit after you stop work, though - in the same way that I would keep some degree of IR35 protection going for a while after I stopped work, just in case there was an investigation.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

A number of my contracts have required PI insurance, but if I was ever claimed against I'd just close the company. I'm buggered if I'm going to spend £450 a year ad-infinitum.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
          X