• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PI Insurance on Bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PI Insurance on Bench

Hi All,

Hit the bench on Monday (Wahay!) Prefer not to be here too long, but realistically I'm not hopeful. Anyway, my PI insurance expires in a few weeks - is it worth renewing if I don't have a contract (ie. am I still covered for past work done while the policy was in place? - not that I'm expecting anything but you never know!)
    I read the document 4 times and couldn't make any sense of it. Will call the broker but always like a 2nd opinion....

Thanks!

I would let it lapse then buy a new policy as soon as you step off the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by supersteamer View Post
      Hi All,

Hit the bench on Monday (Wahay!) Prefer not to be here too long, but realistically I'm not hopeful. Anyway, my PI insurance expires in a few weeks - is it worth renewing if I don't have a contract (ie. am I still covered for past work done while the policy was in place? - not that I'm expecting anything but you never know!)
      I read the document 4 times and couldn't make any sense of it. Will call the broker but always like a 2nd opinion....

Thanks!
      Is it not the case that PI needs to be in place on the day that a claim is made against you, not on the day that you are alleged to have done something wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        Is it not the case that PI needs to be in place on the day that a claim is made against you, not on the day that you are alleged to have done something wrong?
        I believe so, therefore PI must cover retrospectively.

Comment

If that's legally the case then ignore my previous post.

That being said there are plenty of cases of companies that have stopped trading in the past and their insurers have had to settle for things done when the policies were in force so I'm not convinced.

For that matter if these indemnity insurances have to in effect be retrospective how can the insurers weigh their risk if they weren't the insurance provider at the time?

Comment

I would have thought they key date would be when the incident occurred. Think of it in house insurance terms: if you had a fire and weren't insured when the fire occurred, you wouldn't be covered if, after the event, you took out insurance and then made a claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
              I would have thought they key date would be when the incident occurred. Think of it in house insurance terms: if you had a fire and weren't insured when the fire occurred, you wouldn't be covered if, after the event, you took out insurance and then made a claim.
              That's pretty much how I look at it, surely the cover has to be valid at the time when the incident occurred otherwise it makes next to no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                That's pretty much how I look at it, surely the cover has to be valid at the time when the incident occurred otherwise it makes next to no sense.
                PI is different, it insures against legal action, not against doing something wrong: so it must be in place at the time of the legal action, not at the time of the alleged misdemeanour. But check the policy.

Comment

Magnum PI

The broker has confirmed that the insurance needs to be kept renewed up to date in case of legal claim.
                  Eh, doesn't that mean, in case of paranoia, that I need to keeping shelling out for insurance until every single system I've ever tinkered with is decommissioned?

Comment

..or the broker retires to his/he villa in spain?
                    Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

Comment

Working...
                    X