• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First time contractor - advice needed.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    The general consensus is to wait. I would agree. If you have a contract to go to, then fair enough. Keep an eye out on the job boards and appl for as many jobs as possible, but don't leave your current job until you have secured a contract.
    This is just the response I was looking for. I will of course heed the advice. I guess it's a case of putting my CV out there and seeing what response I get.

Isn't there the dilemma though that contracts require you to be immediately available? I would have to work out a month's notice in my current job. At some point, surely you'd have to bite the bullet and take a risk?

Comment

I left a permie role in october to go contracting and I am struggling to find a good role (in IT security). I have the luxury of being able to pay my bills till the new year where I hope it will pick up, but if I had the time again I would have probably waited another month or two. Just get xmas out of the way at least.

It will also give you more time to read up on the ins and outs of contracting, which is a far deeper topic than I imagined.

Comment

Originally posted by kula View Post
        I left a permie role in october to go contracting and I am struggling to find a good role (in IT security). I have the luxury of being able to pay my bills till the new year where I hope it will pick up, but if I had the time again I would have probably waited another month or two. Just get xmas out of the way at least.

It will also give you more time to read up on the ins and outs of contracting, which is a far deeper topic than I imagined.
        what gave you the idea there would be contracts to get? From what I can see 2009 is going to be a wipeout. Maybe in 2010 things could improve.

Comment

Thanks very much, everybody! This has been very helpful!

Suffice it to say, I won't be handing my notice in just yet, but like everyone else, hope that the market picks up during the first half of next year.

Comment

More bloody competition...feck off will ya!
            B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by KeithR View Post
              This is just the response I was looking for. I will of course heed the advice. I guess it's a case of putting my CV out there and seeing what response I get.

Isn't there the dilemma though that contracts require you to be immediately available? I would have to work out a month's notice in my current job. At some point, surely you'd have to bite the bullet and take a risk?
              Depends a bit on your current employer and the contract that you find, don't forget that annual leave can be used to bring forward your leaving date and if you really push for it, most employers won't enforce the notice period unless you have business-critical responsibilities.

Obviously if you desperately wanted to get out you could always hand your notice in and call in sick for any remaining notice that you were supposed to be working. I'd caution that burning bridges isn't the best way to start a contracting business though!
              Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I'm in the same field as you. Regardless of your financial situation, you shouldn't have left until you had found a contract role.... Unless you were made redundant. What has been done has been done. Check your CV. Look at http://www.contractoruk.com/news/00383.html for advice on how to review your CV. Keep on applying for jobs.

Regardless of what some agents may say, not all jobs on agencies books are advertised on job boards. So keep on applying for jobs, even if they are slightly junior to your level (you may be surprised at how effective this may be). I know this may wind up some agents, but some agents may match your CV to a job they haven't advertised yet.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

In same boat as you KeithR

In perm looking for contracting though even though market conditions are bad.

However I am also looking for new perm roles as well as contract. I deffo need a change of scenary.

I would definitely use annual leave entitlment to make your availability more attractive to new employers.

I am not handing in my notice yet

KL
                  "His fame rested on solid personal achievements...."

Comment

Working...
                  X