• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First time contractor - advice needed.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time contractor - advice needed.

I've never been contracting before, but I am considering doing so in the new year. Aside from the obvious dilemma of Ltd Co vs Umbrella and all the pros and cons thereto, what concerns me above all else is being able to get a contract at all in the current climate.

I feel I will be taking a considerable risk in leaving the relative security of my permanent job to become immediately available for a contract. I know this is probably like asking how long is a piece of string, but are there any long-timers out there that have experience of contracting in conditions such as this, who can perhaps offer a little reassurance?

My skill sets are Excel/Access VBA, C# .Net, SQL Server, looking to secure a contract in London (looking most likely to bear the brunt of the employment slowdown )

Many thanks for any help/advice!

Keith

Now really isn't a good time to start contracting unless you have been laid off!!

Myself and probably quite a few others on this board have had to resort to permie roles recently. Mates who are still contracting are having a bitch of a time getting renewals and even when they do start dates are being delayed, contracts hortened early contract endings etc.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithR View Post
      I've never been contracting before, but I am considering doing so in the new year.

Keith
      Keef, you've got a job, playing guitar, or have you forgotten?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        Keef, you've got a job, playing guitar, or have you forgotten?
        Thanks for that, but I have my reasons, which I don't care to go into here.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
          Now really isn't a good time to start contracting unless you have been laid off!!

Myself and probably quite a few others on this board have had to resort to permie roles recently. Mates who are still contracting are having a bitch of a time getting renewals and even when they do start dates are being delayed, contracts hortened early contract endings etc.
          I was afraid of that. A mate of mine is a BizTalk consultant, and his contract has just been extended another 6 months, and he doesn't exactly come cheap! I guess it depends what field you're in.

Cheers!

Comment

I've never been contracting before, but I am considering doing so in the new year. Aside from the obvious dilemma of Ltd Co vs Umbrella and all the pros and cons thereto, what concerns me above all else is being able to get a contract at all in the current climate.

I feel I will be taking a considerable risk in leaving the relative security of my permanent job to become immediately available for a contract. I know this is probably like asking how long is a piece of string, but are there any long-timers out there that have experience of contracting in conditions such as this, who can perhaps offer a little reassurance?

My skill sets are Excel/Access VBA, C# .Net, SQL Server, looking to secure a contract in London (looking most likely to bear the brunt of the employment slowdown )

Keith
            Don't do it - wait a while. Since SEptember 16th Market has dropped off a cliff - especially in London.

Comment

WHS - the market is flooded with people with your skillset.

leave it till Feb next year
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Keith
                The general consensus is to wait. I would agree. If you have a contract to go to, then fair enough. Keep an eye out on the job boards and appl for as many jobs as possible, but don't leave your current job until you have secured a contract.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Don't do it - wait a while. Since SEptember 16th Market has dropped off a cliff - especially in London.
                  Agree, it would be foolish to hand my notice in. Guess I should be thankful I've got something reasonably secure, which is more than a lot of people at the moment. Still sucks though!

I suppose it won't hurt to still put my CV out there.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                    The general consensus is to wait. I would agree. If you have a contract to go to, then fair enough. Keep an eye out on the job boards and appl for as many jobs as possible, but don't leave your current job until you have secured a contract.
                    WHS

Now is not a good time to be not working. However nothing wrong with scouring the market whilst maintaining your current role.
                    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Working...
                    X