• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Signing contract extensions retrospectively

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been working thru Elan for more than 3 yrs, my contract is extended by the client every 6 months. Each time I got an extension I signed the contract and sent it to the agency.
    I have not been happy with their services and have told them that I'll be looking to use another agency for my next extension.
    ThenI got the following email regarding previous extensions going back 3 yrs :

I have checked all our files and we do not have these documents signed.
    We need these as we have to have signed copies for all extensions and
    contracts for all contractors as part of audit requirements.

Now they want me to sign all the previous extensions as they 'don't seem to have them in their records'.
    Has anyone experienced this? am I obliged to sign these expired extensions?
    Please advise.

I believe that regardless of you signing the document that fact that you have continued to work for the client means you have accepted the contract so what does it matter if Elan want you to sign these?

However as its their mistake and they have misplaced the signed contracts bill them for your "admin" time to sign these for them.

Just out of curiosity how do you propose to go about using another agent for your next extension (assuming your offered one)? Why not go direct?

Comment

Why sign anything new if you're not going to use them again? What they're required to have for their Audit requirements is nothing to do with you. Ignore them.

Check out that you are within your legal rights before using another agency though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hex View Post
        Why sign anything new if you're not going to use them again? What they're required to have for their Audit requirements is nothing to do with you. Ignore them.

Check out that you are within your legal rights before using another agency though.
        You can bill them £££ for a few sigs

Comment

the contracts will have a lockin clause- dont sign without removal/crossing this out and initialling.

If the contract not signed and little proof you read then they will struggle when forcing u to stay with them

Comment

He's already signed as he has carried on working for the client.

Comment

Originally posted by kay View Post
              I have been working thru Elan for more than 3 yrs, my contract is extended by the client every 6 months. Each time I got an extension I signed the contract and sent it to the agency.
              I have not been happy with their services and have told them that I'll be looking to use another agency for my next extension.
              ThenI got the following email regarding previous extensions going back 3 yrs :

Now they want me to sign all the previous extensions as they 'don't seem to have them in their records'.
              Please advise.
              Just out of interest, when you originally signed these documents, did you scan and email them the information or did you post it to them? If you posted the information to them, did you send them by recorded / registered post? If so, you can send them a copy of the tracking details as proof that you had sent them the details. If you have an email copy, send them a copy of the original docs and advise them that if they "misplace" the details, you will be invoicing them your cost for resolving their problem.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by kay View Post
                ... I got the following email regarding previous extensions going back 3 yrs :

Please advise.
                They seem to have forgotten to explain to you the link between
                "we need"
                and
                "you need to"

Comment

I didn't send the previously signed extensions by recorded mail. I guess I will have to check them carefully to make sure they haven't sneaked in a clause that might affect me switching to another agency and will charge them for admin.

Comment

Originally posted by YHB View Post
                    the contracts will have a lockin clause- dont sign without removal/crossing this out and initialling.

If the contract not signed and little proof you read then they will struggle when forcing u to stay with them
                    That's worth a try - I would cross the clause out, initial it, and sign it with the date that you sent back the original.

Then send them a photocopy of this, so that it appears that this is what you originally sent them, then it's easier to get out of any handcuff clause.

Of course, this may all be irrelevant if they have a handcuff clause with the client that stops them from using a different agency to secure the services of the OP. It's well worth checking with the client that they are OK for you to change agency before doing anything, though.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X