• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another handcuff question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another handcuff question

OK, I'm opted out and got the lovely 12 month clause in my contract.

Clientco is not renewing my 6 month contract in Dec but a perm role has come up elsewhere within the company that I want to go for (know the mgr from old, good working relationship)

Agency has been told, ClientCo is happy for me to see out my contract and then switch over, just need to agree a finders fee.

Agency is quoting 12 weeks gross fee To my mind I can understand maybe 12 weeks of the ~20% markup they make on my rate but 12 weeks gross when I won't be billing them sounds excessive. If that's the case it'll be a deal-breaker.

They were supposed to come back today with a figure, obviously my pimp isn't too prompt as he won't make much out of the perm side of the deal.

Does the 12 week gross rate bit sound normal (seems a rip-off to me)? I've tried searching past posts about this, can't see anything that matches this.
    Gronda Gronda

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
    Does the 12 week gross rate bit sound normal (seems a rip-off to me)? I've tried searching past posts about this, can't see anything that matches this.
    I'm constantly amazed at the rate agencies charge for placing permies or buying out contractors who go permy.

Yes, it is excessive. They'ev obviously made a fair bit over time from your contract, and even though they have done nothing towards you getting the permy role, they still want big $$$.

Pimps eh? can't live with em, can't kill 'em

Comment

You need to check with the agency from what they are charging.

Can't remember the exact figures but agencies normally charge a large percentage of the gross annual salary when they put someone in a permanent role.

Oh and you won't find info on here simply because this site is called contractoruk
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Oh and you won't find info on here simply because this site is called contractoruk
        True, but I can't be the first contractor to go permie, can I

Normal permie finders fee is 20% of salary, that's way short of 12 * gross daily.

To put some figures around it, current daily is £330 so with a 20% markup that's looking like being £26k fee, more than they'd make off me in a year

Salary is going to be ~ 40k, clientco is prepared to pay upto 12.5% ish, or £5k. Slight shortfall there
        Last edited by the_rangdo; 23 October 2008, 19:58. Reason: Bad maths
        Gronda Gronda

Comment

I have heard of 1 agency looking to charge 30% of salary for finding permies.

Comment

You/client could have kept quiet and not told the agency = no commision would be paid. They've got their moneys worth anyways.

But, as it's out in the open, your client should be playing hardball with the agency - if they really want you. They should negotiate a reasonable fee with the agency, and it's very easy for them to dictate terms. Not sure why you're involved in all this. Not your job is it, to bargain down the amount of commision paid to the agent

Comment

I'm quite good friends with my (maybe) future boss, so I'm just getting the behind the scenes story. No actual involvement though.

It's a good role, learn plenty of new stuff and stops me dipping into savings as Xmas is already quiet without a global meltdown happening as well.

It's in the agency's interest to play ball as they're being given first preference on some new roles being set up, that'll get pulled if they start getting stoopid. I'm just going through a fretting stage of life I guess
              Gronda Gronda

Comment

30% of salary is not unusual. But when they've already done the "leg work", 12 weeks gross is ridiculous. In the boss's position, I'd take you on and write them a cheque for 12 weeks commission, as "full and final settlement" for the finders fee. They're then free to take legal action, which they'd almost certainly lose, and all possible future business with my company.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Well the word so far is they're sticking to £28k

Apparently they reckon they'd place me 18 months out of every 24 so it's lost commission, obviously assuming my whole contracting career would be with them
                  Gronda Gronda

Comment

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
                    Well the word so far is they're sticking to £28k

Apparently they reckon they'd place me 18 months out of every 24 so it's lost commission, obviously assuming my whole contracting career would be with them
                    I imagine that now ranks as quite an assumption?

Comment

Working...
                    X