• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boasting on your CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    Then you must have one of the knowledges to which I eluded.

Lucky bugger, without them, getting a decent job is somewhat difficult IME.

tim
    More in my case of having been around the block many times and seen it all before. When I apply for a project assignment there's a 90% chance that I can massage my CV to bring out exactly what the client wants without telling lies. There is often an advantage in engineering to having a few grey hairs which might not hold true in the world of IT.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      More in my case of having been around the block many times and seen it all before.
      well so have I,

But I still can't invent 3 years experience of 3GPP, XYZ video processing or whatever other "modern" buzz word it is that they want.

Unless you have security clearance, most weeks there are approximately zero jobs on offer in the UK that don't have one of these buzz words as a must (and I do mean as a must) have.

(Assuming you don't want a job doing "integrate the crap delivered by our offshore monkeys")

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
        well so have I,

But I still can't invent 3 years experience of 3GPP, XYZ video processing or whatever other "modern" buzz word it is that they want.

Unless you have security clearance, most weeks there are approximately zero jobs on offer in the UK that don't have one of these buzz words as a must (and I do mean as a must) have.

(Assuming you don't want a job doing "integrate the crap delivered by our offshore monkeys")

tim
        Indeed it seems IT and engineering are different then. Steam turbines haven't changed a lot in over 60 years But there are a lot less folk around who know anything about them
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Indeed it seems IT and engineering are different then. Steam turbines haven't changed a lot in over 60 years But there are a lot less folk around who know anything about them
          It used to be possible to jump technology in Engineering Software, but outsourcing put paid to that - there are 1000 Indians who have "whatever the client wants" and they are cheaper too.

tim

Comment

Working...
          X