• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

signing the contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Upon contacting them they said they've got 100's of contractors on their books without an agency signed contract and I was one of a few who insisted on both parties signing the contract?! ....
    They also have 100s of contractors who have accepted the terms and conditions, and you're the first one to challenge them, 100s of contractors who are paid 300 years after invoicing and you are the first to ask for one month...

It's the first excuse agents use. "Well, nobody else asked/Complained/is worried..."

Totally irrelevant of course.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post

And it is despicable of the agency to pressurise you with this. Name please.
      It's probably the twat who phoned me on the landline at my client site to see if I was looking for a new gig...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        And it is despicable of the agency to pressurise you with this. Name please.
        None other then Elan/Manpower of course...

They even changed their IP clause based on my recommendation, which was a rather weak 2 sentence affair. PCG provided me with a water tight contract covering the matters of IP rights, which I use in most of my direct business.

They say we'll have to contact the legal team etc... always, I think their legal team must have walked out of the cotton fields yesterday.
        Last edited by scooterscot; 8 October 2008, 15:00.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
          Add a clause to the contract which states that this contract is only valid when signed by both parties.
          Also state that any works carried out without a signed contract will be performed under the terms of your normal business contract at your normal day rate. Send them a copy of your normal terms and outrageous day rate.
          Not a good idea.

I think there is a principle in UK law that says in the absence of a contract signed by both parties it is the LAST communication (written unless other communication can be proven) that takes effect and that is what the court will judge on.

So if you sign and return the contract and do not hear from the agency again then the contract should stand in court. If the agency sends correspondence back trying to renegotiate the contract then you have to respond to that otherwise their written communication may override what you signed in the contract!
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            They also have 100s of contractors who have accepted the terms and conditions, and you're the first one to challenge them, 100s of contractors who are paid 300 years after invoicing and you are the first to ask for one month....

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              None other then Elan/Manpower of course...
              Very odd. I've worked through Elan before and this never came up...
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
              X