• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My NI???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    That explanation is about as much use as your grasp of apostrophes. There are plenty of other things they could use as a "unique identifier", and as someone else has pointed out, NI numbers aren't unique.
    Don't blame me, blame the recruitment portal the client uses.

As for apostrophes, I love apostrophes!!
    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      NINO's are unique except when a duplicate gets created \ issued in error or an existing NINO is used illegally by another person for whatever reason. Once this is spotted by the DCI of the DWP it is corrected.

It is wrong to suggest NINO's are not unique due to the practice of creation and issue.
      No it is not wrong. The fact remains that duplicate numbers have been issued.

The DWP only assert that all numbers issued since March 2007 are definitely unique, i.e. when the Department Central Index was replaced. Prior to this detection of duplicates ran at about 2000 a year. So, there are certainly probably very few duplicates around, but there are people who may have had numbers issued pre CIS who for one reason or another - e.g. abroad - have not yet been caught up with as a result of the movement to CIS.

Comment

Back on Topic!

This isn't a gig via Comensura for a local authority by some chance is it?

I have just turned away an agent for a similar gig with the same question. Given that I am a company providing a service, I am not at liberty to disclose the personal or financial details of my employees. That's how I see it.

I've also seen the website for Comensura, which seems to be made for permies \ temp staff & not contractors, given that it asks ALOT of personal information related to *employees* such as:-
        • NI Number
        • Date of Birth
        • Ethnicity
        • Behaviours \ Attitudes (Based on Interview)

I guess it's up to you as a director to decide if you want to disclose that kind of stuff from your company but to be honest, it's not worth the hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by TheVoice View Post
          This isn't a gig via Comensura for a local authority by some chance is it?

I have just turned away an agent for a similar gig with the same question. Given that I am a company providing a service, I am not at liberty to disclose the personal or financial details of my employees. That's how I see it.

I've also seen the website for Comensura, which seems to be made for permies \ temp staff & not contractors, given that it asks ALOT of personal information related to *employees* such as:-
          • NI Number
          • Date of Birth
          • Ethnicity
          • Behaviours \ Attitudes (Based on Interview)

I guess it's up to you as a director to decide if you want to disclose that kind of stuff from your company but to be honest, it's not worth the hassle.
          Comensura use a procurement portal that requests the candidate's NI number be inputted. If you don't input the NI number in the required field you cannot go any further forward through the procurement process (cannot submit the candidate).
          Last edited by Another Dodgy Agent; 23 September 2008, 14:56.
          I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

OP just make up a false NI number, write in two places you won't forget and give it to the agency. If it's a unique identify then it doesn't have to be a real one.

Also due to the Age Discrimination legislation companies and agencies shouldn't be asking for your date of birth. So again give them a made up date.

And a made up ethnicity .........
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              NINO's are unique except when a duplicate gets created \ issued in error...

It is wrong to suggest NINO's are not unique due to the practice of creation and issue.
              So duplicates are created / issued in error, but it is wrong to suggest that they are not unique due to the practice of creation and issue?

It can't be both...

FWIW NINOs are in fact, if not in theory, not guaranteed to be unique. A friend of mine had no end of hassle a few years ago because her NINO, issued when she came to live here from The Netherlands, was also issued to another person less than two years later. She was working, and paying NI contributions, at the time.

It was only when she moved jobs that the matter came to light, and it took ages to sort out the mess at the IR (as it then was) and NI Office.

Using an NINO as a primary key (which is what appears to be happening in the case described by ADA) is doomed to eventual failure.

Comment

Working...
              X