• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses - Mobile Phone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses - Mobile Phone

Working for client on their customers site.

Everyone is using mobiles so my costs have gone through the roof, especially with all the daily conf calls being 2.5hrs in total.

My mobile bill for last month was £200, do I take them as a business expense and not discuss with client? Over a 3-4 month period it is going to be a lot of cost.

Originally posted by omen666
    Working for client on their customers site.

Everyone is using mobiles so my costs have gone through the roof, especially with all the daily conf calls being 2.5hrs in total.

My mobile bill for last month was £200, do I take them as a business expense and not discuss with client? Over a 3-4 month period it is going to be a lot of cost.
    Ask them to provide an office mobile that you will use purely for their business - I do.

Comment

Good plan - straight into the arms of IR35...

Better plan - get itemised bills and reclaim the cost of business calls and associated VAT. Or, put the mobile on your company; Hector will allow personal use of company phones without incurring BIK liabilities.

It's a legitimate business expense so claim it, although you may not be able to pass it on to the client depending on your contractual agreements on expenses - I can't but two of my team can, which is a little annoying!
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Good plan - straight into the arms of IR35...
        Some of us are glorified temps, not "pseudo businesses" formed to avoid paying their fair share of National Insurance.

Comment

And some of us are required to have limited companies so that we can work free of the constraints of section S344C of the Finance Act. MyCo is emphatically not a tax avoidance device and if you study my published accounts you will see I pay myself a realistic salary rather above NMW.

If you don't understand the question, keep out of the discussion. And don't question my ethics when you know nothing about them.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
            And some of us are required to have limited companies so that we can work free of the constraints of section S344C of the Finance Act. MyCo is emphatically not a tax avoidance device and if you study my published accounts you will see I pay myself a realistic salary rather above NMW.

If you don't understand the question, keep out of the discussion. And don't question my ethics when you know nothing about them.
            I was not questioning your ethics - sensitive little plant aren't we?

How would working through an umbrella company be constrained through section S344C of the Finance Act.

Comment

No I'M NOT SENSITIVE!!! But I am also not a tax avoider - quite the reverse in fact, but there are good reasons for that.

To answer your question, it doesn't apply, because you are in effect an employee of the umbrella and so cannot be an employee of your client.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hey, it's been a bad week - and it's only 2 days old! You should hear me when I'm really annoyed...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                  No I'M NOT SENSITIVE!!! But I am also not a tax avoider - quite the reverse in fact, but there are good reasons for that.

To answer your question, it doesn't apply, because you are in effect an employee of the umbrella and so cannot be an employee of your client.

So you DON'T have to run your own company...

Comment

Who yanked your chain

Originally posted by Churchill
                    So you DON'T have to run your own company...
                    I dont see what you problem is with people who do choose to run their own ltd.

what difference does it make to you? so why the negativity?

Live and let live

Comment

Working...
                    X