• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

i want to be a contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Why?
    Only the people who haven't worked in this country before tend to put their visa status on the CV. Would you take a punt one someone who's worked in a body shop in Bangalore and never worked in the UK? Neither would I, I'm not paid to take gambles...

I do, and have hired a number of excellent people from the sub-continent though. You can tell from their CV straight away if you've seen enough of them.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
      Only the people who haven't worked in this country before tend to put their visa status on the CV. Would you take a punt one someone who's worked in a body shop in Bangalore and never worked in the UK? Neither would I, I'm not paid to take gambles...

I do, and have hired a number of excellent people from the sub-continent though. You can tell from their CV straight away if you've seen enough of them.
      Could be the agent asking for the candidate's visa status and adding onto their CVs before being sent to the client..

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        seemed quite proud to state on their C.V. that they held a Tier 1 visa.

...straight in the bin
        Harsh ... and why would you say *proud*? Most people who put it there did so because they were asked too many times by the agencies about their Visa status. Not because they are proud to have one. Unless it's obvious on your CV that you're an EU citizen, it's perfectly normal for someone to state their working status. I don't see this as an advantage nor a disadvantage when I'm reviewing CVs.

Also like a previous poster said, could be the agent put it there. Binning a CV which simply state someone's work visa status is silly.

It's like judging a book by the space between the pound sign and the numbers on the RRP sign at the back of the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
          Only the people who haven't worked in this country before tend to put their visa status on the CV
          You would see this on their working history, not the Visa status.

Comment

The people arguing against what myself and Troll said have obviously never been in a hiring position. If they had they'd soon get a wake up call about the tulipe that gets sent through to them by both pimps and HR - and develop easy filtering techniques to get rid of most of the crap.

OK, some good ones may slip through the net, but faced with speaking to people on phone screening interviews who have an English vocabulary of about 50 words and missing a few good candidates, I know which I'd choose.
            Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              I have just been through the process of recruiting a new team & it amazed me the number of applicants that seemed quite proud to state on their C.V. that they held a Tier 1 visa.

...straight in the bin
              mate... sounds like discrimination to me? if they're good enough..why does it matter where they come from?.

Leeds fan by any chance??

Comment

Working...
              X