• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie jacks it in and walks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    The other thing is how are they going to get a reference?
    Lots of companies now only give references giving the dates worked and the job title. This is to prevent them being taken to court or tribunal.

I've seen two cases where this wasn't done.

One case legal proceedings occurred and the employer lost. The company that obtained the reference actually kept notes on how it was odd that the old employer bother to ring them up to give them the bad reference as well as sending a written one. The case would have never occurred if the old employer hadn't given this reference as it was about the treatment of the bloke during and after his employment.

The second case the reference was ignored due to it badly contradicting the other reference obtained and the reference being received 3 months after my mate started working for the new employer. If the employer who my mate had walked out on had told the truth then my mate would been in trouble. However due to stating things like so and so has poor time keeping, misses loads of days of work etc it had no impact.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Companies cannot give a bad reference without facing the possibility of litigation. In this case the guy could reply to the courts saying he was bullied and stressed out so was forced to leave! (and now needs compensation).

Most companies have HR policies to just give the dates of employment - regardless of the reason leaving. They must also pay the guy for work done. If an employee wants to walk there is naff all an employer can or should attempt to do. After all this guy could have been off sick with stress for 3 months or worse!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Lots of companies now only give references giving the dates worked and the job title. This is to prevent them being taken to court or tribunal.
        Yes OK but the last employer has the option of giving no reference at all. Isn't that going to make the new employer put two and two together and realise that the person is trouble?
        i.e. the new employer will think "why is old employer not giving a reference" Answer: Because they want to give a bad reference but are not allowed to legally. So they do the next best thing and say nothing.
        So we better steer clear of the new person and not hire them.

Or to put the question another way: What excuse do you or would you give to a company as to why your current employer/client is not giving you a reference, especially if you have been with them for over 6 months (say) so that experience would likely appear on your CV?

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
          Companies cannot give a bad reference without facing the possibility of litigation. In this case the guy could reply to the courts saying he was bullied and stressed out so was forced to leave! (and now needs compensation).

Most companies have HR policies to just give the dates of employment - regardless of the reason leaving. They must also pay the guy for work done. If an employee wants to walk there is naff all an employer can or should attempt to do. After all this guy could have been off sick with stress for 3 months or worse!

If he's black or gay (preferably both) he's laughing. See you at the employment tribuneral.

Comment

Yes OK but the last employer has the option of giving no reference at all. Isn't that going to make the new employer put two and two together and realise that the person is trouble?
            No, several Co's now dont even provide references, as they see this as safer.
            I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

... What excuse do you or would you give to a company as to why your current employer/client is not giving you a reference, especially if you have been with them for over 6 months (say) so that experience would likely appear on your CV?
              Easy. "My former client has a policy of not giving references". It's even true.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

i.e. the new employer will think "why is old employer not giving a reference" Answer: Because they want to give a bad reference but are not allowed to legally. So they do the next best thing and say nothing.
                So we better steer clear of the new person and not hire them
                They may not get that job but the ex-employer is likely to receive an employment tribunal claim in the post for discrimination. Everyone can use age discrimination.

Even if your ex-employee doesn't win due to the time taken off from running your business and the costs of hiring a solicitor you will be about £10,000 out of pocket. It costs the employee nothing to lodge the claim.

If you don't hire a solicitor, and remember most businesses in this country are small businesses run by people who struggle to understand even basic employment law i.e. they need to pay workers even if they walk out of the job, then you increase the chances of you losing due to not acting properly. Awards for discrimination are limitless.

Or to put the question another way: What excuse do you or would you give to a company as to why your current employer/client is not giving you a reference, especially if you have been with them for over 6 months (say) so that experience would likely appear on your CV?
                "My employer doesn't give references".

What is more likely to happen is that they write to the ex-employer for a reference and don't receive a response back, so the employee doesn't know either way.

Also I know of cases where employees where asked to leave due to fraudulent and discriminating behaviour and they got glowing references.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Also I know of cases where employees where asked to leave due to fraudulent and discriminating behaviour and they got glowing references.
                  My missus works for central govt, and they have a group of utter wastes of oxygen who they simply cannot fire (they virtually have to kill someone before getting booted.) Their line manager is usually desperate to get shot of them, so when they mention applying for a new internal role they are given a luminously fantastic reference. Only works if the poor sod interviewing the cretin is new and doesn't know this tactic. He/She soon learns though...

At least in the private sector you have some chance of getting rid of them before they retire on a nice fat index-linked pension.

Comment

I've found with letting people go that if your manager really thinks you are a waste of space, they are happy for you to leave there and then. I bet this is what happened in this case, other employees look confused as they see it as unfair, but those who have to manage him are probably happy.

HR will have probably been glad to see the back of him as well. It's if you are quite good at your job that they often want you to stay for handover etc. One of my ex-bosses was on a 3 mth notice period but really wanted to leave for another job that would only wait 8 weeks. My overall boss had to be "begged'" by 2 other people to allow this to happen, despite the fact he'd basically demoted my boss who'd been doing a good job (HR had wanted to cut head-count).

Permanent jobs and management machinations suck. I did permie jobs for years, 7 years at one company and it's political hell.

Comment

Working...
                    X