• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Applied same role with two agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applied same role with two agents

I've been shortlisted to be put forward to what turns out to be the same contract with two agents.

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Agent A has said yes you will be put forward, assuming its not the same one as Agent B.

Agent B says you might be put forward at end of day.

Easy, go with agent A, right - and tell agent B not to put me forward?

Hmmm.

Chances are that neither agency will put you forward. They will both pass you over in favour of a 'safer' candidate. Of course, they won't tell you this. Or maybe that's just my experience

Sounds like Agent B is still compiling the shortlist. So your best bet is to go for A and just hope he really does put you forward.
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Its a good idea to tell Agent B, not to put you forward, well not yet.

I mean it's not like you have double the chance, either the client likes you or he doesn't.

However if Agent A comes back with a no, then you can ask Agent B. Maybe Agent B takes a lower cut, in that case it would be worth a try. Sometimes clients have preferred suppliers but it would then be highly unusual for a client to spend time on the phone to an agent he knows he can't take people from.

Its just that some clients can't be bothered with the hassle of arguing with one of the agents if he wants you, so he may just bin the CV, if two agents are offering the same person.

Usually the client rejects the second CV.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Kafkaesque
        I've been shortlisted to be put forward to what turns out to be the same contract with two agents.

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Agent A has said yes you will be put forward, assuming its not the same one as Agent B.

Agent B says you might be put forward at end of day.

Easy, go with agent A, right - and tell agent B not to put me forward?

Hmmm.
        Ask agent B what rate is on offer - say that you don't work for less than X/day, where X is much more than your rate. Do a bit of haggling to see what the cut off point is (be bold cos you're going to walk away from this anyway). Tell them its not enough so don't put me forward.

Now get yourself put forward with Agency A. If you get the gig then you know roughly what sort of rate you can get.

I did this very same thing last week.

Comment

Working...
        X