• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Delaying renewing contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delaying renewing contract

My current contract is due to end this Friday. I have been offered a contract extension which I have yet to agree to. I have been holding out because there is a possibility of a new, different contract for 12 months still needing approval (but I am the prefered candidate). Alll I want to do is maximise the possibility of being able to the other contract if it comes up.

Is it reasonable to tell the agency I am not prepared to commit to the contract renewal until Friday afternoon? They have suggested I need to respond today.

If you get it wrong, you'll lose both contracts. But you can assess the risk better than anyone here. You're on your own.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by slackbloke View Post
      My current contract is due to end this Friday. I have been offered a contract extension which I have yet to agree to. I have been holding out because there is a possibility of a new, different contract for 12 months still needing approval (but I am the prefered candidate). Alll I want to do is maximise the possibility of being able to the other contract if it comes up.

Is it reasonable to tell the agency I am not prepared to commit to the contract renewal until Friday afternoon? They have suggested I need to respond today.
      Have they suggested or ordered? I reckon they are bluffing - they wont want to have you replaced and possibly lose the gig(might go to new agent).

What do clientco say?

Comment

Well the client may have deadlined them to get the renewal or a replacement in.

In this sort of situation keeping the client hanging around can be a bad thing since they will guess what you're up to and I feel it's better to be honest. I would be telling the new agent/client that you've got a deadline for renewal on your existing contract and you need a decision by then.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Have they suggested or ordered? I reckon they are bluffing - they wont want to have you replaced and possibly lose the gig(might go to new agent).

What do clientco say?
          I would call it suggestion (they said they can only 'hold them off' until today).
          I have not discussed it my clientco as in two and half years never had a discussion with client about contract. I am prepared to (and will) wait until Friday. I guess if they retract the extension offer then so be it, if I really wanted it I would have accepted it already and I am prepared to take that risk.

Comment

I would call it suggestion (they said they can only 'hold them off' until today).
            I have not discussed it my clientco as in two and half years never had a discussion with client about contract. I am prepared to (and will) wait until Friday. I guess if they retract the extension offer then so be it, if I really wanted it I would have accepted it already and I am prepared to take that risk.
            If you are on good terms with the client, speak to them and tell them that you need a couple more days to think about the contract and will provide an answer by then. Alternatively, get in touch with the other agency and ask them to provide some feedback by close of play today.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

In my recent contracts it has said that a contract may be termintated by either party any time before the start date with out penatly.

If its there accept it, and then cancel it of need be perhaps.

You'd need to push the other client to sort their crap out.

Let me know which client your tuning down! I'll send in my CV!!

Comment

Working...
              X