• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving before the end of the project

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree, with not burning bridges, and there is a technique called 'leaving on good terms'. This takes a bit of skill to achieve. In my experience it is better not to say that you are going to another job as they (if they are treating you as an employee rather than a business) may be offended at this audacity. A personal crisis or some other similar bull works wonders, creates sympathy and keeps doors open. I've used this technique to jump into new opportunities quickly when they've come up. Gone from support assistant to senior SAP Consultant in a few years. This has allowed me to say thanks, but no thanks when old clients have called with new work.

Comment

So far I have managed to leave a contract (always at the end of a term, never part-way) on good terms.
      I try to let the client know at the start of an extension that this will be the last one, so they have plenty of time to find someone else.
      I never look for another role until the current gig is up (I found I just get frustraited and its not worth it)

Comment

Working...
      X