• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Leaving before the end of the project"

Collapse

• Orangutan
    replied
    So far I have managed to leave a contract (always at the end of a term, never part-way) on good terms.
    I try to let the client know at the start of an extension that this will be the last one, so they have plenty of time to find someone else.
    I never look for another role until the current gig is up (I found I just get frustraited and its not worth it)

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Agree, with not burning bridges, and there is a technique called 'leaving on good terms'. This takes a bit of skill to achieve. In my experience it is better not to say that you are going to another job as they (if they are treating you as an employee rather than a business) may be offended at this audacity. A personal crisis or some other similar bull works wonders, creates sympathy and keeps doors open. I've used this technique to jump into new opportunities quickly when they've come up. Gone from support assistant to senior SAP Consultant in a few years. This has allowed me to say thanks, but no thanks when old clients have called with new work.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    There's a damn good reason not to upset current/old clients and that's future business.

It's not about pandering to clients or betrayal, it's about good business. You never know when an old client may need you again and if you've left on iffy terms that's pretty much knobbled, the same goes for references if they're ever needed.

I do agree if the client knows they're going to need you for a long time they should offer a long contract, one advantage of 3-6 monthers is that they are ideal negotiation points.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Its called MOO.

And if clients want contractors to stay for the duration of, say, a 2 year or even 1 year project, then WTF dont they offer 12 months instead of 3 months 'with possible extensions' from the outset?

Oh, and treating contractors like businesses instead of temps might help retention too!
    Agree with the BB. Unless you're some permie-temp type, go with the the best offer. Even though the client PM may go puppy eyed on you when you tell them, it's just bull. You're not unique and they can survive happily without you, as they did before you arrived.

Always makes me laugh these guilt ridden types and extender benders losing sleep at night over 'betraying' their clients. Get over it.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Any chance of you taking the extension first, then using your ROS and getting someone slightly cheaper than yourself in on a B2B contract i.e. so you take a bit off the top. Then take the other contract. BOOMED?

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Its called MOO.

And if clients want contractors to stay for the duration of, say, a 2 year or even 1 year project, then WTF dont they offer 12 months instead of 3 months 'with possible extensions' from the outset?

Oh, and treating contractors like businesses instead of temps might help retention too!

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    If you are in good enough control off the project then you should be able to do a decent handover to whoever is taking over from you without much hassle.

The end client may not be too happy with having to bring in another PM - but if the project is actually going very well you could see if any of the other members of the project team wish to see it through to the end - you would also be removing costs from the project which may make the beancounters happy!

Obviously if the project is going t*ts up and the need all of your PM expertise and skills to make it a success they may get a bit shirty!
    I'm not the PM - in fact no-one is.

Leave a comment:

• AnthonyQuinn
    replied
    Go On if its a better (or even same) rate

If your contract is due to end then you can politely state that you wish to go elsewhere and not renew your contract due to personal priorities. You should change your contract if it offers new challenges and skills. Thats the only way we contractors can survive.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    If you are in good enough control off the project then you should be able to do a decent handover to whoever is taking over from you without much hassle.

The end client may not be too happy with having to bring in another PM - but if the project is actually going very well you could see if any of the other members of the project team wish to see it through to the end - you would also be removing costs from the project which may make the beancounters happy!

Obviously if the project is going t*ts up and the need all of your PM expertise and skills to make it a success they may get a bit shirty!

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    In 17 years of contracting I have come accross many people who have bailed on their current contract before the end and I hate it. It's one of the reasons that contractors have bad reputations at many client co's.

Yeah - that's the bit that bothers me - I know someone who does this and I was thinking the same. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to have harmed his career.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    In 17 years of contracting I have come accross many people who have bailed on their current contract before the end and I hate it. It's one of the reasons that contractors have bad reputations at many client co's.

However from the sound of it you're at the end of your current term and refusing to extend is reasonable in the light of a better offer (better can be financial, professional development or just plain retention of sanity).
    There is an element of burning bridges with your current client, one option of course is when you have the new offer secured talk it over with the current client in a very rational manner and they will either accept that it's a wise move for you or be keen to retain you to the point that they match or exceed the new offer. If you're up front and honest with a client it generally pays dividends in my experience, I was at my last gig when I refused to extend and I left with an offer of "call us when you're available next" conversation in the bag.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    started a topic Leaving before the end of the project

Leaving before the end of the project

It seems I may be offered a choice of extension on current project (to the end) or new role (different client, agent etc). I feel it may look better if I stick with the project than jump - what are others' experiences?

BTW If I get the offer to jump it will be a slightly better rate, similar commute, expenses etc. but better for honing my skills.....

Working...
X