• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crikey I thought CUK had more than 100 pages of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      What's the resolution? Say no, sit on the bench and spend the rest of the year going "you know, most contractors only work 2 months a year"...
      No. Get on the phone, find agents with real roles. Pitch them, send them your CV while you are on the phone (email is quick these days) so you can walk them through it.

Ask them about the client. Ask them what skills they believe the client would like highlighting. Send in your revised CV.

and so on & so on.

Repeat.

When on the bench you have a job. It's description is looking for roles 8 hours a day. It is not providing agents who have no roles sales leads.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
        No. Get on the phone, find agents with real roles. Pitch them, send them your CV while you are on the phone (email is quick these days) so you can walk them through it.

Ask them about the client. Ask them what skills they believe the client would like highlighting. Send in your revised CV.

and so on & so on.

Repeat.

When on the bench you have a job. It's description is looking for roles 8 hours a day. It is not providing agents who have no roles sales leads.
        ^^^This.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post

When on the bench you have a job. It's description is looking for roles till you find one. It is not providing agents who have no roles sales leads.
          FTFY

Comment

Super excited! Had my very first 20min agent call that ended with "I just need to do the pre-screen for them, so just need" blah blah you know the rest!!

Wow, almost feel like I'm a real contractor now . Told him, yeah no worries have a look at my linkedin profile I have many strong personal recommendations on there from people I've worked with. Strangely he didn't go for that...!

disclaimer to the below: no, I'm really not being suckered into passing on contact details but...

I have to admit though, as he did tell me the client and some specifics about the role (previous contractor moving on, specific dates for a handover as I wouldn't be able to start until after they've left) it does feel like there's a real role. So will hold out and see if he changes his mind about needing ref's! Also, which is even more fun, I think I know someone that works there (and is reasonably senior) so I'm going to try and find out if the role is real *and* whether the client really does use agency to 'pre-screen' via references... that should make for an interesting follow up conversation with the agent (if he ever calls me back!!)

Comment

Or just get in touch with your contact, ask who is on the PSL and ring another agency about it.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Or just get in touch with your contact, ask who is on the PSL and ring another agency about it.
                good plan! nya nya nyaaaaa!

Comment

So what's the summary here? I've been passed some job specs (at named banks) and they want to put me forward - they 'just need one reference' first. Legit or bobbins? Not been asked before. I have half a dozen written recommendations on linkedin but the didn't seem interested. Don't really want to give up a name to just be spammed if it is not a real thing.

Comment

Who cares. Just give them your last agents details and get on with it. It's really not worth trying to second guess them.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by imightbewrong View Post
                      So what's the summary here? I've been passed some job specs (at named banks) and they want to put me forward - they 'just need one reference' first. Legit or bobbins? Not been asked before. I have half a dozen written recommendations on linkedin but the didn't seem interested. Don't really want to give up a name to just be spammed if it is not a real thing.
                      Your last agent will confirm your previous role and provide the reference required.
                      I've not been asked for references in banking until I'm undergoing the screening process once I've been offered the project.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X