• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a great one the other day...

Pimp: I'm calling as I have a very exciting opportunity, but I can't tell you anything about it just yet. Can you send me references and contact names of all the people you worked for , for the last few yrs

Me: I don't send references until I have a job offer

Pimp: Oh ok, I'll have to see what my boss says about that..... Could I add you on Linkedin?

Me: I tell you what, when you have a JD you can share, send it to me and if I am interested I will get back to you.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
      I often get agents urgently trying to get hold of me, ringing several times, leaving voicemails and emails asking me to call back. Quite often the role is completely irrelevant (like sending junior tester roles to architects) and in the arse end of nowhere. Agents are normally very stupid individuals.
      FTFY.

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Happy November 2014 guys and girls - I've just had my first one of these for the month!

Compliments of a very promptly spoken young man at Square One resources, on behalf of his good friends at Accenture for a role at "a media company that not even I [he] knows the name of. Have you heard of Accenture?"

P.S Any one ever heard of "CV cleansing"? Apparently mine required it and apparently "no, that doesn't involve me changing your CV in any way" *rolls eyes*
        Last edited by 7specialgems; 10 November 2014, 16:28. Reason: MOAR

Comment

I've just got my first reference request and it's not just for 2 references but 4 (2 x Peers and 2 x Manager recommendations)! The agent sounded really genuine and admitted that realistically they wouldn't be able to place me until 2015 Q1 as there is not much doing in the market at the minute. He said they are not like other cowboy agencies (Phew!), they only require the references as part of their SLA with the client (there is no role so what client??) and would never (ever) use them for leads.

This was the first time ever that references were mentioned as part of the application process and I was taken in a bit about the validity of this new step. I told the guy I'd need some time to check with my referees before I passed on their details so put him off til next week....thankfully I found this thread before I contacted any of them.....I'd feel like such a fool!

I need to get back to him but not sure what to say, I guess I could go along the lines of "having thought about it I'm not comfortable with passing on references until after an interview with a client..."

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by lifebelowzero View Post

I need to get back to him but not sure what to say, I guess I could go along the lines of "having thought about it I'm not comfortable with passing on references until after an interview with a client..."

Any thoughts?
            That's fine. If he doesn't like it that's fine too...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Any thoughts?
              Yes, don't give them

Comment

Any thoughts?
                Replace that with 'until the client makes an offer'.

HTH

Comment

I need to get back to him...
                  What for? Move on, nothing to see here; there is no gig.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

ARM are employing a new tactic - scraping your CV from Monster and then send the following email:

Dear cojak,

This email is to acknowledge receipt of your new or updated CV*.
                    and then in grey text:

*If you did not send your CV directly to us, then we may have sourced it from an online CV database.
                    Followed by:
                    If you are new to ARM, thank you for registering with us. Your details will now be held by ARM and we will get in touch if we have suitable opportunities.
                    This then gives them the opportunity to send a following email with T&Cs which include (surprise, surprise!)

7. YOUR OBLIGATIONS

7.1 You agree to do the following:-
                    7.2 At Registration stage
                    7.2.1 Provide the Company with complete and accurate personal details as requested by your the Company consultant or as per the Registration Form
                    7.2.2 Provide the Company with proof of your eligibility to work in the UK (see also clause 8 below)
                    7.2.3 Provide the Company with names and contact details of at least 2 professional referees
                    They must be really ticked that they can't force you to reply to this junk...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I had a 30 minute 'discussion' with a global recruitment agency who i had gone in to meet with regards to them pimping out my services. I was only in there for 45 minutes

In spite of several lengthy contracts with large companies he insisted that he would not be able to put me in front of a client before he had personally contacted my two previous references himself, implying that i may not be as good as i say i am and i may bring shame on his agency.

I also added that i am registered with all of the major agencies and not one of them has insisted on contacting my references before putting me forward for a role or even registering me

I did back down somewhat by saying that if he can secure an interview for me then i would pass him the names of the references

Unfortunately they are a necessary evil but suffice to say i do not expect to get a call from him

Comment

Working...
                      X