• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    You've really simplified things there. That's like saying Estate Agents call random householders and say "Wanna sell a house?". Yes, they do spam with leaflets to generate inbound calls, but spending time on calling actual vendors is generally driven from market intelligence - one job I had was gathering property details from agents, identifying the house and the address, then using the electoral roll to find the occupiers details. This is the same as the agents looking for references - they are looking for people who already use contractors, and then trying to demonstrate how they can provide an advantage over other agencies.

I'd presume the call to ClientCo would be from a sales-focussed individual, more along the lines of pitching the benefits of what their agency could provide over and above other agencies, and how it would be more cost effective for the client. How much of that would be true is another matter, but that's sales for you.
    Absolutely and the estate agents is a great example.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Reference checking for my roles has become common place in the last 5 years.

Each time I have the same conversation about company employees won't give references as per HR policy, HR won't give even T&A references as I wasn't an employee so we end up having to just go to each agency to verify the contract.

After 3 such exercises I have got the Compliance Team at each agency to give me a PDF letter reference to confirm my contracts actually happened. These have proven to be sufficient for each of my last two contracts.

Each of the last 5 agencies I have used have a Compliance Team specifically for this so there is a definite need.

Interestingly my last contract lead was via LinkedIn and the well known agency did insist on 2 professional referees before putting me forward to client. I used two peers and all was good. I can understand their position as my LinkedIn profile could have been a work of fiction.

In summary, the value of these references could be questioned but if it gets you through the screening process and their internal compliance needs then best get them on file to speed things up IMO.

Yes there is phishing going on at times but it is fairly obvious and easy to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
        In summary, the value of these references could be questioned but if it gets you through the screening process and their internal compliance needs then best get them on file to speed things up IMO.
        No tulip!

Most of us do not have a problem with real reference checking....

Yes there is phishing going on at times but it is fairly obvious and easy to deal with.
        it's this type that this thread is about.

Comment

Originally posted by Boney M View Post
          Had the fortnightly call from one of the ROC Search cretins asking me if I worked with so so at clientcos I had previously worked at. I find Roc Search are the worst of them at the moment.
          LOL Thats them
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            I have had 1 contract where the company wouldn't consider interviewing me without an up front reference, but that was defence related.

I routinely tell the pimps that ask that I will be more than happy to provide references in the event of an offer or a final interview stage, but I refuse to give out names and contact details before then. I'm sure that I've suffered the odd pimp that won't call me again as a result, but I respect my referees too much to subject them to the pimps punting for work.

Definitely agree with the above. Don't be pressured by the lure of fictitious jobs, they usually have a particular job in mind. Not several positions that you may be suitable for. It really annoys me, the unprofessional and crafty tactics they use to gain information. I get one ever few days at least... Nearly half the calls i get are fake unfortunately.

Comment

So some agency is refusing to put my name forward to some government client unless I hand over references... Apparently these government clients have a "compliance" process which includes getting references before agency submits CV's. Having worked for government accounts before I just dont believe it. I cannot believe every agency is taking references up for every contractor before putting them forwards, as much as anything it would just be a totally intollerable burden on the poor referees expected to provide references for every possible job rather than just at firm offer stage. Does some goverment HR portal really demand references from agencies?

Comment

After 3 such exercises I have got the Compliance Team at each agency to give me a PDF letter reference to confirm my contracts actually happened. These have proven to be sufficient for each of my last two contracts.
                WHS. Never been contested or refused by using agency PDF references.

Comment

Originally posted by Boney M View Post
                  Had the fortnightly call from one of the ROC Search cretins asking me if I worked with so so at clientcos I had previously worked at. I find Roc Search are the worst of them at the moment.
                  Bloody Roc search are a nightmare. Had one guy phone my home phone 12 times at the weekend and leave 12 messages. No idea why he didnt phone my mobile or email me.

In his last message, he gave the job details. £25K permie job 200 miles from home. OK right.

Roc search certainly are persistent though. I've had 5 missed calls today on my mobile and just one message - different agent at ROC search, same job. :-(

Probably been ringing my home number all morning as well. mrs wont be happy.

Comment

x3 Senior Infrastructure Engineer/Architects

£300-£600pd Depending on experience
                    Mid March Contracts 6-12 Months, opportunities for roll over onto new projects.
                    Internationally recognised company.
                    Skill set: Citrix, VMWare, Hyper V, Lync, Windows Server, Exchange, Office 365.

Business opportunities are coming up due to new funding sign off for upcoming projects.

Senior infrastructure engineers will be working with an anticipated team of 25 members for an internationally recognised and equally sought employer for a greatly anticipated project.

The three contract roles are predicted to run for 12 months (6 months min.) which will allow for additional training leading into new and exciting projects set to be run out across all infrastructure projects for 2014.

The ideal candidates will have a skill set to include as many of the following:
                    - VMware - Server 2.0.2 / ESXi 5.1.0 / vSphere 5.1
                    - Citrix - XenApp 6.5 / XenServer 4.2.2 / XenDesktop
                    - Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8
                    - Windows Server 2008 (R2) / 2012
                    - Exchange Server 5.5 / 2000 / 2003 / 2007 / 2010 / 2013
                    - Active Directory Group Policy 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / 2012
                    - Hyper V 2008/2013
                    - Operations Manager (SCOM) 2000 / 2005 / 2007 R2 / 2012
                    - Configuration Manager (SCCM) 2003 R2 / 2007 R2 / 2012
                    - UNIX & Linux - Redhat Suite

Positions are paying higher rates due to the required experience across the working skill set as well as training and further career opportunities across vertical markets within the company with their anticipated project road map.

If you are interested in any of these fantastic roles please send your up to date CV
                    to me now. Also please confirm the following below:

1: Current day rate
                    2: Day Rate desired
                    3: Current Notice Period
                    4: Two references of line managers you have worked for in you current or previous role.
                    5: Outstanding Applications i.e. interviews, where your CV has been submitted to prevent duplication.

All sounded so good until the last paragraph lol. Looks like a pretty good info gathering exercise hes got going here....

Bit of a broad experience list. Got to admire his approach mind.... :-)

Comment

Sadly I have had 7 months on the bench, (market was dead, even Jobserve was quiet!), and never needed to have references in advance. Needed references once I was offered a role in order to verify the gap but never in advance.

Comment

Working...
                      X