• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FirstCallCS View Post
    References are exactly what they say on the tin - they show possible employers whether what you're true to your word.
    Do they, aye?

I'm not sure whether all companies use references in their recruitment process, however it can help you decide between equally good candidates. And I don't think people can be sued for giving references - you choose the people, not what they say.
    You don't have the first clue what this thread is actually about do you?

Comment

References are exactly what they say on the tin - they show possible employers whether what you're true to your word.

I'm not sure whether all companies use references in their recruitment process, however it can help you decide between equally good candidates. And I don't think people can be sued for giving references - you choose the people, not what they say.
      This is the kind of language you can expect from a bottom-of-the range pimp: FirstCallCS
      <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

"Dear Optimistic reference-seeker

I can confirm Mr Jones worked for us for three months, ending on Tuesday last week by mutual agreement. I am confident he will deliver the same level of commitment and professionalism for you that he did for us

Regards

HR Exec"

Is that really helpful?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

My answer to the reference question is always the same. References will be given on offer.

They will always come with the BS argument that hey are a quality agency who check their candidates before putting them forward to their clients blah blah blah
          But in the end their are two options the agency will say:

1. I can't take you further (which often means they had no job in the first place and were just on a fishing expedition) and I say ok goodbye
          2. OK I will put you forward and see what happens, which sometimes means the role is genuine.

Comment

In the world of being a perm, references aren't gathered till after an offer is made. As such there is zero reason to give a recruiter references before starting a job. For contracting, references should be LESS important (it is much easier to get rid of a contractor as compared to a perm) but they aren't because agents are largely a bunch of tulip-heads and want someone to do their work for them. Perhaps this post is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              "Dear Optimistic reference-seeker

I can confirm Mr Jones worked for us for three months, ending on Tuesday last week by mutual agreement. I am confident he will deliver the same level of commitment and professionalism for you that he did for us

Regards

HR Exec"

Is that really helpful?

Nope, it's almost no use at all but except for that last line which means the agency now have the name of an Exec in HR and an excuse to try a line of banter with them to see if they are recruiting at the moment.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

My HUGE problem with the whole idea of references is how can the HR dept or whoever wants the reference be sure that the person giving them is more trustworthy or honest or even more qualified to give an opinion than the Candidate himself -- especially say you are an older 60 year old contractor whose been in the business for say 40 years and your last gig was managed by a 25 year old who had only been in the business two years or so. !!!

The latin quote ("Who Guards the Guards") to me always seems appropriate in these cases.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers
                jimbo

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo45 View Post
                  My HUGE problem with the whole idea of references is how can the HR dept or whoever wants the reference be sure that the person giving them is more trustworthy or honest or even more qualified to give an opinion than the Candidate himself -- especially say you are an older 60 year old contractor whose been in the business for say 40 years and your last gig was managed by a 25 year old who had only been in the business two years or so. !!!

The latin quote ("Who Guards the Guards") to me always seems appropriate in these cases.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers
                  jimbo
                  Have you just heard the phrase? It's the second time in two days that you've felt the need to quote it, and also to put a link in to Wikipedia to explain it.

How very Juvenal.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Had it yesterday. Please provide 3 references but I promise I don't use them to generate leads. I'm too professional for that.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      Had it yesterday. Please provide 3 references but I promise I don't use them to generate leads. I'm too professional for that.
                      Why would the job centre want to generate leads?
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X