• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Nothing, nothing at all.

They are gathering sales leads via a very efficient method: lying to, and wasting the time of, contractors who have first-hand experience of the sorts of client they want.

They don't give a tulip about you, so they don't care how you feel. And since you cannot tell whether they are lying or really do have the gig-of-a-lifetime, they can can get away with it.

It is what efficient parasites do to survive.
    Accurate in my experience. Sad really.

Comment

On this subject, I was trading war-stories about contracting over lunch last week with other contractors and got a bit of advice that's worthy of following. Give agents wanting references the name of other agents who you don't really like, or even ones you don't mind but aren't going to work with regularly. After all, most of my contracts have been contracting with the recruitment agency, not directly with the end client... That way my clients are protected and the agencies can have a circle-jerk with themselves talking about "potential opportunities".

I have a few names on standby for when I'm back in the market again

Comment

Aha - references - leads - call em what you like - that Old Chesnut again - eh?

Well if I have been asked for references - and its not that often it happens - I normally call the Agent back and say 'Sorry for confidentiality reasons I cannot furnish you with references - but I can give you a few leads if that brightens your day '

Laugh if you like - but I think if you do somebody a wee favour the Universe notes that - and you are rewarded.

And even if if doesnt (it does - trust me) - then whats so terrible about giving somebody a hand - I just make it clear its leads.

There you have it.

And dont evén bother to post a counter to this post - cos I aint debating,

Comment

I had a good one today.

An agent rang me, says they received my CV a few weeks ago but the client had been slow. Then he splurts out

"It's with CompanyX!"

CompanyX = A previous e-commerce employer of mine

A site most blokes probably won't know offhand and he provided no explanation as to what they do.

At first i said to his suprise, oh i used to work for them (did you bother reading halfway down the first page of my CV? ) and immediately realised it was a trap, so i followed with, "who's your contact?" before he could do the same. He invented a senior dev who i knew perfectly well did not exist and i additionally knew the devs would not be involved with recruitment. "ohh he must be new then" I replied.

Comment

So much for the time wasters

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
            Just sent a response saying that I would like to not be put forward as just feel like I am being trapped into getting a role that might not even exist. I do not know why I feel guilty but it is just not worth it for me.

Arghhh the stress of finding work.
            Been out for a while so thought I'd look at a Perm, been contracting since before the millenium!

I applied for a role a week ago, which sounded credible, well matched to my c.v.
            The ad said "projects on a global basis with travel around the world." which is nice

Immediately received by return the following:

so here goes, can you please answer the following questions relating to the job spec as much as possible

Home location and will you relocate if needed?
            Eligibility to work in the uk? - British Passport / Tier 1 visa etc
            If your present company offered you more money, would you accept?
            Reason for leaving current employer.
            What motivates you in your job.

Reason why my client needs you?
            how is your past work exp going to fit with this job spec/company?
            Current salary / benefits package details (include pension, healthcare, bonuses, car allowance etc)
            Salary expectations
            Notice period
            Roles applied for on your own or via an agency
            Companies you wouldn’t want to work with

I answered the above, asked them to confirm submittal of my c.v.

This morning I got a read receipt, which suggests the application has gone no further, he slept on it

I wrote back, "Can you update me on my application,"

reply was, "No news as yet."
            So even though I thought my application had gone into oblivion, No, theres life left in it
            Was it make believe?
            Why all the rubbish questions?
            or was the whole thing just phishing?

Ive had loads of wierd scenarios over the years, even calls from agents I am already working for
            When you get a recruiter its because they have'nt got real roles to fill and need to look busy for the boss
            hey ho, happy days, one day soon, the good times will return

Comment

K2 Partnering Solutions - we are not going to proceed

got a phone call from K2, we agreed on rates and contract duration, was told that my CV will be with the client today "due to urgency of this role"

they sent me an email asking for copy of my passport and 2 references,

rang them back and ... I was told that: " we are not going to proceed your application without 2 references from your ex managers.."

what the....???

Comment

Originally posted by TTT View Post
                got a phone call from K2, we agreed on rates and contract duration, was told that my CV will be with the client today "due to urgency of this role"

they sent me an email asking for copy of my passport and 2 references,

rang them back and ... I was told that: " we are not going to proceed your application without 2 references from your ex managers.."

what the....???
                You already know the answer, don't you?

They are lying.

You did NOT agree on rate & contract duration because you have not yet seen the client and client has not met you.

Your CV will be with the client today not because of "urgency of this role" but because that's how contracting works. If it wasn't urgent, they would be recruiting a permie.

Does the client want two references? No. The agency wants two referees.

"We are not going to proceed your application without 2 references" = you do not have a date and time for the interview with the client, which means you do not have an interview.

Therefore, it is the agency that wants the referees, not the client that wants the references.

You have no interview.

You have no gig.

The agency is lying to you.

Edit (when sober): There may well be a gig but the agent is trying it on.
                Last edited by RichardCranium; 15 February 2011, 07:03.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

On that note, I've been put forward for three interviews recently. Two of the agents emailed me confirmation, the JD and all that bumpf and also included a line in the email stating that for legal reasons they must verify my identity and have a copy of my passport on file before I go to interview.

One of the agencies also stated they need two references before I go to the interview.

In both cases the interviews have already been confirmed, so I've ignored these requests and neither agency has chased me up on this. Quite happy to comply once I've gotten an offer, but not before.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    Your CV will be with the client today not because of "urgency of this role" but because that's how contracting works. If it wasn't urgent, they would be recruiting a permie.
                    I don't think that is necessarily true. Work doesn't have to be urgent to hire a permie, it just has to be seen as having a clear end-point/date. I don't employ a builder to build me a house but that doesn't mean we can't spend ages discussing start-dates.

Otherwise, no arguments
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I could not believe it but that agent that threw me a few weeks back with his rudeness had the nerve to call me again today phishing for references. Could not believe my ears!

Comment

Working...
                      X