• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    The reply was a short shrift, references direct to client only on offer of contract and passport details will not be provided as it is mycos responsibility as a limited company to check that its employees have the necessary documentation to work in the uk.
    One would assume with big corporation (like a bank) their processes will be less flexible than yours.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      Agreed.

If I were to apply for a permy role, would the employer insist on two references before interview?

Nope?
      In teaching they require you to put references on the application form, and quite often contact them before inviting candidates to interview.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        I will also add that no ex manager is going to say negative things about any ex employee/contractor for fear of litigation.
        Again, they still find a way. My wife was told unofficially that she might like to 'get a different reference'. Not sure why, since she was extended twice, and not sure what was said, but something was.

Also even in the "we will only confirm dates of work" culture, what if you were terminated/sacked by a previous client/employer - worse what if it was for something serious? Would they really not find a way to mention this? You can't be sued for saying you sacked someone, can you?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          In teaching they require you to put references on the application form, and quite often contact them before inviting candidates to interview.
          But we aren't in teaching.

Are we?
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Only an example dear.

Comment

Email from IT Talent, looking for a) names of referees and b) a list of interviews and positions applied for "This information is essential to allow us to consider you for jobs without making duplicate applications".

****. Right. Off.

Comment

Conversation with an agency today that has tried to meet me three times in the last 4 mths.

Me "I'm in a contract for the next 10 weeks, but sure, I'll meet you after that for a chat/your screening interview" (I also go for permanent roles, so does happen sometimes).

Them, "Can we meet tomorrow?".

Me "I'm actually tired, working long hours and won't have time to meet you".

They asked where I lived, and conveniently they lived on my tube line. So they have asked to meet me next week, and asked me to bring my passport and two references. HELLO. Why would I meet you with my references? I'd agreed verbally, then saw the email asking for references.

There is no point, if you want to fish at least wait until a later date.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  You can work in educational fields and get your mates/ex colleague to give you a reference. Not worth the paper it's written on. One of my friends has just "lost" one of his employees to an educational institution, they didn't check references with him, or HR. He was really glad that she'd gone.

My mate had gained this employee on the strength of their reference that had conveniently not mentioned their long-term sickness (months on end).

I'd also been for a job at the same educational institute she'd gone to previously and all they did was say "give me references", didn't check with my HR. And they are working with teenagers.

May be different with teachers specifically, but I think references is a grey area.

Probably why you should go to HR/ask specific details when getting references for things such as this.
                  Last edited by northernrampage; 6 May 2010, 23:07. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Originally posted by northernrampage View Post

My mate had gained this employee on the strength of their reference that had conveniently not mentioned their long-term sickness (months on end).

I'd also been for a job at the same educational institute she'd gone to previously and all they did was say "give me references", didn't check with my HR. And they are working with teenagers.

May be different with teachers specifically, but I think references is a grey area.

Probably why you should go to HR/ask specific details when getting references for things such as this.
                    References are simply not worth the paper they are written on especially as it's legal for those who are the subjects to see the reference.

Even with telephone references or one-to-one verbal references you have to be careful not to say something negative in case someone over hears you and is writing notes.

I know a case where a verbal reference was given by a firm, someone wrote notes, the guy didn't get the job and the case went to court. The firm doing the slagging off ended up paying out to avoid losing in court.

In regards to working or volunteering with people like children, the elderly or disabled then CRB checks are needed and they just confirm whether you have already done something. Financial organisations etc have other checks. It's easier to turn someone down on factual criteria or the fact that you don't like them for any reason than a poor reference.

The two people who I know who have worked and work as heads provide references to suit their purposes. (One of them provides me with a reference when I need it for some of the voluntary activities I do.) None of their references are slanderous but they write them not mentioning negative information.

In short it's up to the person reading the reference to work out what information is missing.

For example if someone is always sick their attendance record won't be mentioned but they may still be described as good to work with etc. Many referees refuse to tick the check boxes forms sent to them and will just enclose a written reference.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Got a call today from and agent with what sounded like a great contract prospect. Rate confirmed, client co confirmed, address of office confirmed, contract length confirmed.

Then they asked me to meet them to prep for an interview this week and asked for two past references. Haven't had this pulled on me for a while but it seems to still be happening.

Have they invented the whole role and would it be best to stay clear?

Comment

Working...
                      X