• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just had this email. Very good stuff..

"Dear [amanwhoisquiet]

We are currently searching for a JOB TITLE to work in CITY, COUNTRY for DURATION plus extensions."

Sign me up!! Some outfit called M B A

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Really.

It's not really references though is it? Much of the time it's just lead generation for the pimp and no job offer for the contractor.

When you've been repeatedly lied to and suckered, that 'wariness' (yes, let's be polite) has been hard earned.

If recruiters want respect, they have to earn that too. Once earned they stay on my LinkedIn network; the others can 'jog on'.
      Im with Cojak on this one. Give up names of ex-managers to agents and all you'll get is the agent hassling them for business. You're ex-manager wont thank you for that one!

So yes it is about relationships. The ones that matter - your clients. Not so much the agents whos business model is all about sales.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

This might sound sexist but I was benched for around 4 months and the only people that asked me for references were women. 99% sure they were all fake jobs, never heard from them again whether I provided or not.

Didn't get a single call from a guy trying to pull that trick.

Maybe a coincidence, not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
          Maybe a coincidence, not sure.
          It was
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
            It was
            Yeah, I had one yesterday. He pretended he had a contract for me but was sadly too far from my location, I pretended I wasn't able to help him with previous client's contact details.

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor101101 View Post
              Yeah, I had one yesterday. He pretended he had a contract for me but was sadly too far from my location, I pretended I wasn't able to help him with previous client's contact details.
              I wouldn't pretend, I'd be quite blunt. I've earned those contacts, he hasn't. If he secures me a contract and there are places I'm not bothered about going back to, I'll chuck em a few scraps.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

teksystems references

I am being hassled by a female recruitment agent at TekSystems for two references as part of the 'screening' process. The script is:-

We are responsible for all of the placements at X company (a well know education sector Giant) without the X company actually having to do any interviews at all. We conduct a telephone interview and then meet you in person before placing you on site. By the way, your CV is better than the others, so the screening is pretty much a formality. Its part of out agreement with X company that we take the references as part of the screening as they don't interview.

Is this just complete BS or is there a chance that this is true?

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
                  I am being hassled by a female recruitment agent at TekSystems for two references as part of the 'screening' process. The script is:-

We are responsible for all of the placements at X company (a well know education sector Giant) without the X company actually having to do any interviews at all. We conduct a telephone interview and then meet you in person before placing you on site. By the way, your CV is better than the others, so the screening is pretty much a formality. Its part of out agreement with X company that we take the references as part of the screening as they don't interview.

Is this just complete BS or is there a chance that this is true?
                  If they actually mention a name of a company it might be true, but most likely BS.
                  Last edited by Eirikur; 3 October 2018, 21:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    I might be true, but most likely BS.
                    well said!

Comment

Just give them the contact details for the agent for your last gig. After all, the contract was with them and not the end client....
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X