• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Direct With Client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direct With Client

Current contract just over and been looking at new options.
    I've had 2 job roles with different agencies which have not returned any offers.

Job 1) Agency said they put me forward with Client Y. I have niche skills they were looking for but said client could not afford my rate. They have role now advertised on their website.

Job 2) Agency put me forward for role with Client X. I had telephone interview 1.5 weeks ago and have recieved no feedback. Chased agent but said unable to get feedback from them so assuming role is dead. Interview went very well and again had niche skills they were looking for.

My question how long do I have to wait before approaching Client X and Y direct?
    Or do I have to wait at all as I have no contract with agent until an offer is on table.

Any advice appreciated!

Originally posted by gar_k View Post
    I've had 2 job roles with different agencies which have not returned any offers.

Job 1) Agency said they put me forward with Client Y. I have niche skills they were looking for but said client could not afford my rate. They have role now advertised on their website.

Job 2) Agency put me forward for role with Client X. I had telephone interview 1.5 weeks ago and have recieved no feedback. Chased agent but said unable to get feedback from them so assuming role is dead. Interview went very well and again had niche skills they were looking for.

My question how long do I have to wait before approaching Client X and Y direct?
    Or do I have to wait at all as I have no contract with agent until an offer is on table.

Any advice appreciated!
    Personally I wouldn't contact the company direct as it may work against you, unless you have agreed with the client / agency that you can do so. Work on the premise (sp?) that the opportunities are dead and keep on applying for new opportunities. I'm sure there are opportunities gagging for you to apply for them.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by gar_k View Post

Any advice appreciated!
      Why would a company want you to approach direct if they have employed an agency to do the work for them? I would take a hint that as the client has not contacted you (via the agent) then they don't want you, for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by slackbloke View Post
        Why would a company want you to approach direct if they have employed an agency to do the work for them?
        Isn't it obvious? Because they'd save money taking you on direct, and wouldn't have to talk to agencies. Companies use agents because agents can source candidates quite quickly.

Originally posted by slackbloke View Post
        I would take a hint that as the client has not contacted you (via the agent) then they don't want you, for whatever reason.
        Not necessarily. It has been known for agents to lie and cheat to the detriment of contractors.

If you feel you've had a good interview, and you really were expecting an offer, then why not write a letter to the client manager, saying that you're disappointed that you didn't get the gig, but thanking them for their time, and expressing a wish to work for them sometime in the future.

I've known people to do this, and a few days later had a call from the agency with an offer. The agent thought they could get someone in at a higher margin for themselves, and had told the client that the candidate wasn't interested.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
        X