• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract renewals - how late in the day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract renewals - how late in the day

Just wondering what people would consider is usual for finding out about renewals, i'd have thought 1.5 - 2 weeks, I know of a few people who are finding out literally on their last day that they've been renewed.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by grey_lady View Post
    Just wondering what people would consider is usual for finding out about renewals, i'd have thought 1.5 - 2 weeks, I know of a few people who are finding out literally on their last day that they've been renewed.

Any thoughts?

If I want an extension I usually start making enquiries with the client with about a month to go, usually give the agent a kick at about the same time. It's still not unusuall to have got a verbal agreement to extend from the client but still be waiting for the paperwork from the agency right up to the last minute.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I've had renewals confirmed anywhere from 1/2 way through the last day to 2 months in advance.

Typically it's in the last week.

Comment

I always make sure the client starts thinking about it 6 weeks before the end date. Renewals have been had from 3 months before to 2/3 weeks before.

Comment

Any thoughts?
          All with the same major US IT firm, I have had 3 days, 2 days, 1 day, -2 days.
          Yes that is right, my contract expired and despite them knowing about it a week before termination it took 9 days to sort out details and get it to agency. So I was at home for two days not officially working, although I did work and claimed it.
          Recipricating now, I only agree to a contract renewal on the last day of existing contract just in case something better appears (last renewal notice was 9 days in advance!)

Comment

I wait to the last day, or don't even raise it!

It's the only excitement in being a contractor apart from finding out what rate you are getting.

I have just turned up for work the following week on the assumption that it has been renewed.

Comment

Originally posted by HermanDune View Post
              It's the only excitement in being a contractor apart from finding out what rate you are getting.
              Don't you set that at the outset?

Comment

Any thoughts?

IME this is quite usual.

tim

Comment

Usually there is a 4 week notice period - either way - but most clients will leae it as late as possible to sort out budgets, etc. You should start the ball rolling in advance by asking the client what their position is and that you're gonna start sending out your CV - or tell them that you've had a call from a former client ..... Don't rely on the agency because most times they do nothing!

Comment

If there's an agency involved they will probably start sniffing around with 4 weeks to go. But that timeline usually gets slowed down or speeded up depending on what projects the client's got on, and their various states of progress. A couple of times I've had gaps of a few weeks between projects for the same client.

Comment

Working...
                    X