• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract review and next-day start

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract review and next-day start

Hi,

This is probably a stupid question but my contracts so far have been direct - this is the first time I've involved an agency.

I have an interview on Monday that I'm hoping to get, due to niche experience on my part.

The client wants a Tuesday start, but they don't finish interviewing until 3pm on Monday, so an offer won't be made until 4pm.

Obviously I need to get the contract reviewed for IR35. Realistically I can't see it being turned around in time, especially if any amendments need to be made.

How would you folks deal with this? Would you set the expectations of the agency ahead of the offer, or would you wait for the offer then tell them you're going to get the review?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Originally posted by jim2406 View Post
    Hi,

This is probably a stupid question but my contracts so far have been direct - this is the first time I've involved an agency.

I have an interview on Monday that I'm hoping to get, due to niche experience on my part.

The client wants a Tuesday start, but they don't finish interviewing until 3pm on Monday, so an offer won't be made until 4pm.

Obviously I need to get the contract reviewed for IR35. Realistically I can't see it being turned around in time, especially if any amendments need to be made.

How would you folks deal with this? Would you set the expectations of the agency ahead of the offer, or would you wait for the offer then tell them you're going to get the review?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Don't start till your happy with the contract. Simple.

Comment

this is what i'm thinking. once the offer has been made, they clearly want me, and a day isn't going to kill them.

the main thing i'm thinking is - do i say this now (that i'm going to want to get a review etc), or do i wait until the offer has been made?

as i said, i'm not used to dealing with agencies, I've been fortunate enough not to have to rely on them until this point.

cheers

Comment

Ask for a sample contract and get it reviewed now?

Comment

I'm faced with a similar thing so this is quite timely.

Agent had initially said i'd be told Monday when my start date is, now I find out they want me there on Monday but I haven't even seen the contract yet!

Comment

i decided to take the advice of one of the above posters and get the contract reviewed. it passed, which is good.

it's going to be running alongside another 2 contracts, which i guess is good, too.

if i don't get the interview, i've lost a little cash, but it's better than holding up the process and risking upsetting the client and agency.

now fingers crossed for monday. its a .NET gig, got the interview after a day of looking, hopefully willl get it!

Comment

Originally posted by jim2406 View Post
              i decided to take the advice of one of the above posters and get the contract reviewed. it passed, which is good.

it's going to be running alongside another 2 contracts, which i guess is good, too.

if i don't get the interview, i've lost a little cash, but it's better than holding up the process and risking upsetting the client and agency.

now fingers crossed for monday. its a .NET gig, got the interview after a day of looking, hopefully willl get it!
              Some niche experience in .NET? what area would that be?

Comment

the niche experience is in the industry sector, not the technology used.

Comment

The contract doesn´t have to be signed; if you´re sitting at home twiddling your thumbs then you may as well work and sort out the contract in the following week. Sitting at home serves no other purpose than to reduce your earnings, unless of course you have an alternative project you could work on.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Sitting at home serves the purpose of making your counterpart realise he's not going to get his work done unless he pulls his finger out and sorts out a contract. If you turn up and carry on regardless, they've got no incentive to get their act together and you'd probably end up signalling acceptance my default.

Comment

Working...
                    X