• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More work, same money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More work, same money

Hi all

I'm new here. I used the search button (honest) but couldn't find an opinion so I decided to post a new topic.

I'm 6 weeks in to a new contract to manage two projects. So far I've worked nearly full time on one whilst the other was being approved although I have done some preparatory work for it. Recently I heard that the project was shelved and my client wants me to take on two additional projects instead. The two additional projects are nightmare projects no-one wants to do. Chuck em at the contractor I heard them say...

I have gone back to my agency to ask for a contract change (I have the two original projects named on the contract). I should point out that I run a Ltd company and operate outside of IR35. As I am now being asked to pick up three projects instead of two I have asked for a rate rise (not 33% btw). My agent expects me to be flexible and take on more projects as the client demands without seeking rate rises (no real surprise there, they're only doing their job). Having had the agent talk to the client the client agrees, although they are prepared to do everything possible to keep me, without hiking the rate. Whatever that means.

I think taking on projects beyond my contract puts me in a poor IR35 position, something I'm not prepared to do so I have two choices: do two projects or walk.

I'm interested to hear opinions, I imagine they'll range from "shut up and do the work, take the money" to "**** em all and walk". I'm good with that, three choices might be the right way.

Great forum by the way, be gentle with the new boy...

Plinth

Presumably, there's another thread somewhere that everyone else has responded to, but I can't see it.

Originally posted by plinthadenoid View Post
    I'm 6 weeks in to a new contract to manage two projects. So far I've worked nearly full time on one whilst the other was being approved although I have done some preparatory work for it. Recently I heard that the project was shelved and my client wants me to take on two additional projects instead. The two additional projects are nightmare projects no-one wants to do. Chuck em at the contractor I heard them say...
    Somewhere in the past, a good contractor passed through and educated that client well.

I make my money doing nightmare projects - I always have done, I started when I was a permie. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have gone back to my agency to ask for a contract change (I have the two original projects named on the contract).
    Makes sense. Should be easy to arrange.

As I am now being asked to pick up three projects instead of two I have asked for a rate rise (not 33% btw).
    Nice try! Six months in, that might have worked.

I think taking on projects beyond my contract puts me in a poor IR35 position
    Are you sure? If you get a builder in to do a one room extension and a garage, then change your mind and say build a one room extension and a two-storey extension, isn't that much the same?

I'm interested to hear opinions,
    Negotiate. Think about "Getting to Yes". What can you offer that's cheap for you but valuable for them? A promise. What can they offer that's cheap for them but valuable for you? Some time and some help.

"I am now up to speed with Project A and can run it at 15 hours per week. Project B has been scrapped. I will now need 2 or 3 weeks to get up to speed on Project C. Only after that can I even think about Project D and by then I will be running Project C, so it will take me 3 or 4 weeks to get fully up to speed on Project D.

"So, Project C will start in about three weeks, in about six weeks Project D can start and I will be running Projects A, C and D with only about ten hours per week spent on each. That means I will have to be allowed full control over my own timekeeping (of course!) and I get to decide what project reports I produce, not the beancounters. I won't be able to afford to waste a day messing about with one of their templates.

"I will also require access to some admin support to help me as project support. I want an experienced secretary available for about 10 hours a week (that's a mere ½ a day per project) to book meetings and take minutes and type them up and distribute them. I won't have the time. Ideally, one of the Directors' secretaries or PAs - someone with the clout to summon people to meetings. And not a temp from an agency either.

"By the way, any further changes to the project pipeline and Project A will be at risk.

"With those conditions, I'll do it and be successful for you, for the same money."

You get project support, your admin done for you, no messing with stupid, irrelevant, broken in-house forms (how I hate them), to come and go as you please, some political clout and access to a senior manager's ear.

Would that make it feel better?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

That's good advice Richard. If you ever write a book or articles on managing projects please let me know!

Comment

Ditto.

Nice advice there

KL
        "His fame rested on solid personal achievements...."

Comment

Nightmare project? Order and read Death March, by Yourdon now! ( Which Richard seems to be quoting from! )
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Richard

Thank you for a well considered response, very useful information which I will put to good use. I appreciate your time and advice.

Regards

P

Comment

As I am now being asked to pick up three projects instead of two I have asked for a rate rise (not 33% btw).
              Damn right. Should be 50% by any measure.

Comment

Working...
              X