• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Waiting for contracts to be approved

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waiting for contracts to be approved

I have verbally accepted a contract role and am waiting for security clearance. This is being hampered by the Bebo obsessed donuts used to do the donkey work at the agency.

Meanwhile there was another job that I said I would accept if offered, from the previous week that had been put on hold pending a new HR boss coming in.

So right now I am in limbo waiting for either job to get moving. I don't have much faith in the agencies involved so feel that I will take whichever job comes to fruition first. Could this be regarded as unprofessional? Bear in mind I have not been working for 2 weeks and can't wait around too long waiting for contracts to get approved.

Some would regard it as unprofessional, others as professional.

You should decide what to do rather on your circumstances. SC could be a very useful asset. It can take months to come through though.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Some would regard it as unprofessional, others as professional.

You should decide what to do rather on your circumstances. SC could be a very useful asset. It can take months to come through though.
      My current Extended SC took about 3 months to arrive. Had to wait 6 weeks before I could be allowed to start at the client site, and a further 6 weeks before I was allowed to do any work. Wasn't happy with the 6 weeks wait, especially as I had a valid SC clearance previously.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
        My current Extended SC took about 3 months to arrive. Had to wait 6 weeks before I could be allowed to start at the client site, and a further 6 weeks before I was allowed to do any work. Wasn't happy with the 6 weeks wait, especially as I had a valid SC clearance previously.
        When I applied for an Australian SC (highly protected) so I could work with client data (such as tax records), the process took 11 months. Luckily, I was allowed to work there while they processed it, however I couldn't access production systems until I had it!

What type of roles require a SC in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by HermanDune View Post
          So right now I am in limbo waiting for either job to get moving. I don't have much faith in the agencies involved so feel that I will take whichever job comes to fruition first. Could this be regarded as unprofessional? Bear in mind I have not been working for 2 weeks and can't wait around too long waiting for contracts to get approved.
          Never wait on a promise. Clients and agents will happily string you along like a hooked fish. Take whatever comes up first provided you're happy with the terms etc. A contract in the hand is worth 20 in the bush. This is not unprofessional, it's about looking after yourself first.

Comment

Good news

The contract has been approved for a Monday start with security clearance obtained.

<snip> here I come!

<mod edit>Well done! But do you really want to let people know where you will working?</mod edit>

Comment

Working...
            X