• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fending off agents question: Why Are You Looking ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fending off agents question: Why Are You Looking ?

After 8 months at client I told my agent I am not extending. It has become too boring. I know it is jungle out there but ..

Now , in these scarce times , telling agents that I have voluntarily ejected from my client will turn them into blood-thirsty lying beasts and I expect them to come to extremes to obtain the name/manager of the client I am fleeing out of.

I am certain that 89 % of the agent calls I get will be client-fishing and If I’ am disclosing my circumstances ( that I left an empty slot ) I will be torn-apart , lain to , promised fake interviews , and god know what their new tricks are…

So have there been new additions to the old routine: disclose BigClient Name but not more. References on interviews only. ?
    Last edited by Likely; 28 July 2008, 09:52.

Originally posted by Likely View Post
    After 8 months at client I told my agent I am not extending. It has become too boring. I know it is jungle out there but ..

Now , in these scarce times , telling agents that I have voluntarily ejected from my client will turn them into blood-thirsty lying beasts and I expect them to come to extremes to obtain the name/manager of the client I am fleeing out of.

I am certain that 89 % of the agent calls I get will be client-fishing and If I’ am disclosing my circumstances ( that I left an empty slot ) I will be torn-apart , lain to , promised fake interviews , and god know what their new tricks are…

So have there been new additions to the old routine: disclose BigClient Name but not more. References on interviews only. ?
    Why not recruit you own replacement? You do have a subbie clause, don't you...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Why not recruit you own replacement? You do have a subbie clause, don't you...
      This option was of course offered to my agent along my leave note...

Comment

Just lie to the agent

Tell them that the post has come to a natural end due to the work no longer being there and the new boss being anti-contractor and most importantly anti-agent.

Comment

Why are you looking? Because you're running a business and want to make some money. You should be always looking.

Try and steer agents away from this assumption that you are only allowed to work on one project at a time, and you can only start one once the previous one's finished.

Comment

Working...
          X