• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working from home on overseas contract, no agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slackbloke View Post
    No, not nonsense. Presumably when you say 'stuff' you mean goods? I am not talking about goods, I am talking about services and those services have taken place solely in the UK.
    I don't see the difference between the tax-free goods you can buy in the airport if you are leaving the country, and services that are 'produced' here but the results of which are being exported and used and rehashed in another country long before they come back here - if ever. The client's lawyers have stated they don't have to pay VAT, Norla checked with their accountants and agreed they were exempt, everyone is happy.

Comment

Originally posted by QueenElizabeth View Post
      I don't see the difference between the tax-free goods you can buy in the airport if you are leaving the country, and services that are 'produced' here but the results of which are being exported and used and rehashed in another country long before they come back here - if ever. The client's lawyers have stated they don't have to pay VAT, Norla checked with their accountants and agreed they were exempt, everyone is happy.
      You didn't actually say any of your work was being exported. You just said you worked directly for a US company. That doesn't stop you providing services to a third party in the UK via the US company.
      I am curious why you are in the UK if you are working for a US company directly, why not go and work in the US?

Comment

You didn't actually say any of your work was being exported. You just said you worked directly for a US company. That doesn't stop you providing services to a third party in the UK via the US company.
        Ah, I see. No, nothing remains in the UK and no aspect of the project requires me to be located here, in the US, or anywhere. Well, somewhere.

I am curious why you are in the UK if you are working for a US company directly, why not go and work in the US?
        Working for a US company doesn't give me the legal right to work in the US.

Comment

Working...
        X