• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tips for negotiating a rate direct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for negotiating a rate direct

Any tips for negotiating a rate direct? i put in a highish quote for a place where i've been before. Last time i was on a lower rate but was told by manager that they would have paid me up to 30% more.

So this time I've taken my current rate and added on what i think a pimp would charge and they've come back and said it was to high.

Thanks.

They will allways say it's too high, even if it isn't - that's negotiation.

General rule, ask for more than you want because they will allways reject your first bid.
    Still Invoicing

Comment

so i should offer less? (it was a highish quote)
      do i ask for a little less or tell them the least amount i'd accept.

Comment

I usually try and exert some preassure, drop down a bit, but create the notion that you have other things on the go and if they want to close the deal they need to do it quickly...at the end of the day your selling...creating the fear of loosing something they want is one of the oldest salemens tricks in the book...and effective.

Comment

been there a couple of times.

get them by the coffee machine, alone.
          'too high, are you serious ?
          oh ok, well to save time and effort, what would you go to ?
          how much ? are you serious ? you are
          blooming heck
          could we just round it up to x ?'

then go away and think if you could get by on x

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Cheers guys.

Comment

Have you given them any reasons as to why you are worth more than last time?
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Kindof - my reason was that before i had a slightly shorter working day, this would be for the standard 7.5 hours.

Comment

Negotiation is like sex.

You need to start off hard, fast and ignore them when they say they don't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    Negotiation is like sex.
                    You mean like when it never happens?

Comment

Working...
                    X